30 Bananas a Day!

I have a fantasy of backpacking through southeast asia for something like 4 to 10 months or so. If I were to do this I would very strongly desire to stay HCRV. I want to sample every fruit known to man and then some. I need help understanding my options for food shopping, housing, means of travel (I really want to bike as much as possible), visa restrictions, and possibly part time work options (which probably will not be financially necessary). I have friends in BKK, hanoi, and possibly in a few other spots I could rely on for support. I am a US citizen. I really just want to go over there with nothing but a bike and a backpack and spend time getting in touch with nature, friends, and most of all myself.

Thanks so much for reading. :)

By the way, I don't want to die over there if I can avoid it, but I don't mind a little risk and I am not adverse to things like sleeping outdoors, bathing in a natural water source, physically challenging terrain and so forth. Just know that I don't have any sort of survival training :) Also, I would love to learn some new languages but I am not the fastest learner. Although perhaps total immersion would have some impact on that.

Also, I need to know what I should do before I go and what I should bring with me.

Views: 337

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Scott, thank you so much! Unfortunately, due to some family and financial issues, I will be choosing to fly out in about 8 weeks time. I haven't got my ticket yet, but basically... I HAVE TO GET OUT OF HERE. ;)

I would like to hang around over there until at least summer 2013 if I can. I will have to figure out how to mange that with visa restrictions, etc. But if it means I have to keep hopping borders or maybe I have to get a job at some point, that would be just fine.

Thanks guys! Derek I'll look you up man.

Got a question, what shots/inoculations are going to be absolutely necessary? My insurance will not cover this and I don't want to waste money getting inoculated against something that I either have a very small chance of contracting, or if contracted has a very small chance of death or permanent damage.

will india be part of this trip?

not sure... but yeah I might check it out while I'm over that way!

I'm really getting ready to go... I quit my job, sold my house, and I'm getting my shots in a few weeks. Then I just need to sell my car and I'm out of here.

On the way I'm planning to spend a month or so in Florida visiting a friend, and then a month or so in Hawaii to stay with another friend. I've never been to hawaii so I have to check it out on the way. I think hanoi will be my first stop in asia, and perhaps bangkok from there. It's good to have friends in warm places. After that I don't know, but I think I want to try a temple stay.

I got myself a tent, a pump action carbon water filter, and a headlamp for camping. I got an ipod touch to do translations, pictures/videos, and other handy applications. I still need to get a rack for the back of my bicycle for hauling fruit!

aparently theres not really any malaria in thailand.. i've heard of it in the border regions in the north though. the pills can mess u up, make u sensitive to sunlight and one of em is an antibiotic doxycyclin i think and so thats not good for ur gut flora, and u take it as a preventative but yeh no malaria in thailand but be sure to double check on that..

Thanks! The only vaccinations I ended up getting were Tetanus, Hepatitis A, and Typhoid. I was sick for a few days, but now I'm all good.

I'm leaving Monday. Not sure exactly when I will arrive in asia... I hope hawaii does not trap me for too long.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

OrganicMark posted a status
"Home Prices: Downhill From Here #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2kMOeNN"
17 hours ago
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
yesterday
pradtf left a comment for Tams
Friday
pradtf and Tams are now friends
Friday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Friday
"ECB cuts key rate, relaunches QE to shore up eurozone economy #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2kymAUZ"
Friday
"Trump Says Fed Should Cut Rates "To ZERO Or Less", So US Can Refinance Debt And Lenghten Maturities #peace #truth#light http://j.mp/2kH4yzB"
Wednesday
hajapapaya replied to TINtininintin's discussion seeking hair and scalp advice in the group Raw Vegan Skincare & Beauty
Sep 8
"Housing Bubble 2.0 - Housing Market Crash on the Way: Shiller #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2knZ6ln"
Sep 8
Peter Csere commented on Peter Csere's video
Sep 7
Josephine H Calvi is now friends with Randy Raw, Jojo Marion and Kevin
Sep 6
Lotus33 and Primal Rich are now friends
Sep 6
Scarlet R joined TheBananaGirl's group
Sep 6
"For Second Week In A Row, Fed Buys Treasuries (AKA, QE4!?!) #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/2lCSaRg"
Sep 5
Amanda May left a comment for Kevin
Sep 5
Igor Puzeev posted a discussion
Sep 3

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service