30 Bananas a Day!

Did you know that pansies are edible? I got that datum from John Kohler one day and this year got the occasion to test them from my garden. I mostly eat them wild and they are delicious. For me, they have a licorice flavor.

But the leaves, are they edible? 

Is it different on the standard pansies, those you find in supermarkets? I bought some and planted those but now I barely dare to taste them cos I'm not sure they have been sprayed and with what...

I know I won't have to take your answer as the only source of data before trying :) I did risk to try them and I felt fine, and the leaves were tasty but want more infos. I can't find any answer on this from the net so far.

Here are some pictures for those who don't know how they look like:

Views: 770

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is another pic of another type of wild pansies, most often found in my garden or just outside of it

Attachments:

Yes, pansies are a form of violets.  Susun Weed, Wise Woman Herbalist, highly promotes the flowers and leaves of all cultivars of violets.  You can google "Susun Weed violets" for more info.

(Disclaimer: Susun Weed is a big promoter of Weston A. Price, whose nutritional advice and followers I absolutely do NOT agree with at all.  AT ALL.  But she's got some neat herbal and wild food info out there.)

Hey thanks a ton Melissa! I found very useful data based on the google search item you gave me! Thanks I will try see if this is helping the bags under my eyes, I guess this is my adrenals inflamed or something. Anyways thank you so much, I will post what I've found here so that ppl can have the data too.

Here is an excerpt from an article of Susun Weed about violet of which I attached some pictures above:

''Besides being a delight to the senses, the common wild Violet is a nutritional and medicinal powerhouse. There are dozens of species of Violet, in various colors that include blue, purple, white, and yellow.

Luckily, all species are edible and have similar medicinal value, so you don't have to worry about knowing out exactly which one you've got. Violet leaves and flowers are loaded with minerals and vitamins, especially A and C. The leaves are tasty both raw and cooked, with a bland mucilaginous flavor. I like to add a handful to fresh salads for a vitamin boost. The flowers are sweet and tangy, and make a gorgeous garnish on salads and desserts.

Medicinally, violet is a gentle but potent remedy. It is classified as an alternative (or "blood purifier"), which means it helps the body restore optimal functioning by aiding metabolic processes, especially the elimination of waste products. Violet stimulates the lymphatic glands, helping the body get rid of bacteria and other toxins. It is especially useful for swollen glands. Over time, violet can help clear stubborn problems like eczema, psoriasis, and acne. Taking Violet after a long winter is a wonderful way to get our bodies ready for a healthy and energetic spring.

Violet also supports the immune system, helping to clear infections of all kinds. Soothing and cooling, it helps reduce fever and inflammation. It can be useful in treating sinus infections, bronchitis, sore throats and coughs.

Violet leaves can even help to shrink tumors and cancers. They are most effective when taken both internally and used externally as a poultice. They are also helpful in clearing up other growths and lumps such as cysts, mastitis, and fibrocystic breasts.

Next time you are out walking, why not take a few moments to gather some wild Violets? You will be adding beauty to your life, and getting a dose of a potent cleansing remedy at the same time!''

The taste of these flowers is sweat, similar to licorice, I totally love it. I ate about 10 one day and my body made me feel that was enough. I tasted the leaves and they tasted sweet too. Great discovery for me.

Happy to help! :)

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Stephen posted photos
Tuesday
ednshell replied to Silvery's discussion What are some vitamins you recommend?
Saturday
Profile IconStephen and Carolin joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Saturday
ednshell replied to ednshell's discussion Top German Scientist questions COVID19 response in open letter to Merkel
Saturday
ednshell posted a discussion
Saturday
OrganicMark posted a status
"DUD PARTS Coronavirus testing delayed after kits found to be contaminated by Covid-19 #NoVaccine #organic #fruits https://j.mp/3aDW0ye"
Apr 2
Samantha Marie Alvarez left a comment for Scooby the Cantaloupe Kid
Apr 1
Samantha Marie Alvarez and Scooby the Cantaloupe Kid are now friends
Apr 1
Meurig Rowlands is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Apr 1
Samantha Marie Alvarez posted a discussion
Apr 1
Mika M is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Mar 30
"Bahrain, Belgium Report COVID-19 Treatment Touted By Trump Working For Patients #organic #fruits #vegetables #health https://j.mp/39p6zno"
Mar 27
Cassie K and DreamsofFreedom are now friends
Mar 27
Cassie K added a discussion to the group Gardening for food and fun.
Mar 27
Sarah Troyer and Kevin are now friends
Mar 20
"Visualizing The History Of Pandemics... By Death Toll #NoVaccine #organic #fruits #vegetables #health #longevity http://j.mp/2x0ghPI"
Mar 18

© 2020   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service