30 Bananas a Day!

My job is driving me batty.  I don't know how much longer I can tolerate it.

Has anyone successfully left the 9-5 world behind?  Please post your inspirational stories.  Thanks.

Views: 1774

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

fruitpixie and cbraunmuller ask about money.

the first step is to not want - following henry thoreau's idea:

"a man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone"

when wants are minimal, one's opportunities increase greatly.

additionally, it's important to appreciate the correct version of the adage which is:

"no gain. no pain." ;)

initially, we had some savings from our jobs in ontario, canada though these got severely impacted when we left everything to go to british columbia (we didn't want to bring up our son in the ontario environment). we also had support when required from my parents and a couple of friends.

i did some part-time teaching for a while at the high schools and colleges around here.

we also tried some network marketing for algae (celltech), but stopped that because we found in 1998, they were sponsoring bioassays on mice. interestingly enough the same people (different company name) contacted us at the beginning of this year wanting us to return - they'd stopped the bioassays (which shows you how dumb and political the idea was in the first place).

my wife started a rather innovative home based non-profit in 2000:

http://familycaregiverssupport.org/

it has gained national recognition and funding from various sources.

we also used up most of my pension to become debt-free.

so it was a combo of various activities umbrellaed by the 'not-wanting' principle. my son has always adhered to this principle btw:

When we tried to buy him things, the response was always "No, I don't need it" or "No, I have something like it". I think this is a child's way of saying don't clutter up my life.

http://www.towardsfreedom.com/blook/PickTures/65.html

(you may enjoy reading about "The Old Man", btw)

regarding diplomas. home university won't provide a degree directly, but there are various ways to get looneyversity credits depending on the institution. certainly the resources available for learning are far more abundant than they've ever been in the past:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/

http://oli.web.cmu.edu/openlearning/forstudents/freecourses

this 'open source' conception is one of the major advances for education the state of which has been improving over the decades.

however, i don't think my son is too interested in a diploma.

kyron tends to figure out his own way of walking the path.

in friendship,

prad

Hi there :-)
I to would appreciate some success stories and advice. My partner and I bought a house truck a few years ago with this in mind. We got held up a couple of years making renovations and having children :-) Now we are just about ready to get on the road. We plan on heading to Nelson (New Zealand) to do some wwoofing to begin with but our ultimate goal is to get some land, grow all our food, source our own power, sell crafts and produce at local markets and home school our kids.
I think if you know what you want and refuse to settle for less then it will happen for you/us :-)

Can I have your job now? You clearly don't appreciate it enough.

is your music online?

I have had so many different jobs 

hairdresser

video shop

singer in cover bands

telemarketer

office manager

dancer

payroll/admin

payroll officer

Multi Level Marketing (working for myself)

then I decided that I wanted to make a career out of all of my passions so I went to work getting qualified and experienced, networking and finding clientele for all of the things I was good at and loved doing.
Now, I make a living out of

Holistic Counselling,

Teaching Reiki/energy healing/psychic development

I run Meditation classes

Personal training,

Group fitness (Boxing, Spin, Weights, Zumba, Circuits)

I run Yoga classes at Gyms

I love variety and I have been learning and doing all of these things for years in my free time (they are my passions), I was doing them for free, so I just learned to make my passions my business.

I'm not going to lie and say it is easy, I work odd hours and more hours than most, if something dries up I need to always be on top of it. Sometimes I subcontract out to gyms, sometimes I run my own classes etc. I have learned that everything ebs and flows. Sometimes I make a great wage, sometimes it's not so great. Clients cancel, classes may dry up, gyms go out of business etc...

I have learned though that whenever something dries up (it is meant to) that door will close but another will open and I'll recognise it and walk through it, I have learned to trust that if I follow my passions, my path, then I will never go wrong.
My new goal since I am a singer/songwriter is to work towards making a living out of sharing my music and I want to move my business to a more online focus (so I'm not driving around so much)...

This is all fun to me, I might work hard, but this is what I would be doing anyway for free plus working a full time job.

I believe that if you are passionate about what you do the money eventually will find you.

I also aim to live as simply and unmaterialistically as possible, another goal of mine is to get some land and grow most of my own food. I have heaps of ideas of things I'd like to do in the future and slowly I chip away in that direction and over time people go, wow, look what you've done... You're so lucky!!!... There's no luck to it... It's imagination, passion, focus, action, faith.

Also, once you figure out what you want to do, you need to start working towards it straight away, while you are still in a full time job, build it up out of hours, then go to part time work, keep building it up, then at some point you'll have to take a leap of faith and ditch the normal job and follow your passions full time. Make sure you have saved up about 3-6 mths worth of overheads $$$ to get by on as well. If you are strapped for cash and have to go back and get a part time job again during hard times then fine, do it, and then when you can take the leap of faith again.  

Success is not a straight line up, it is a messy ball of wool, just make sure you are working towards your goals. When there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you have a plan, your current job should be more tolerable. (N.B - and don't tell you boss and co workers what you are doing either, just say you are doing it for fun if asked, most bosses like to think that your whole world revolves around their business)

anyway, hope that helps

Blessings to you in following your passions xx

AWESOME!!

what a beautiful life change! congratulations!!

I am personally working on it. My goal is to be able to do it in the next 12-18 months. I'm more than slightly nervous: I'm senior level in a high paying IT job and have a mortgage, but I have a growing secondary income that with the careful elimination of as much overhead as possible (plus a refi of the mortgage when done) I can survive on MUCH less.

For the curious: I'm going to be transitioning into a career in fitness coaching/training.

If you need inspirational books on self development and managing finances, I've found some excellent ones. I highly recommend The Slight Edge by Jeff Olson, good for MANY things in life not just business. 

Thanks for the book recommendation.  I've reserved it at the library.

I went from 9 to 5....... to 90-5-5! Booyah!

Your post is a great one for New Years...

I've done that forever...3 days a week I teach private music lessons, and do a bit of music production - out of my own studio - it ends up being half time work. That pays all the bills, and now that I've drastically lowered my expenses, I'm saving, too. I play gigs for extra cash and I have a bit of passive income from musical loops I recorded, itunes, an instructional video, etc.

I worked a year for a high tech music company. The politics were killer.

Here I have no boss, no politics, no bullsh*t. If 1 client ditches, 2 more come in.  I really help people. Pays pretty good per hour. I also learn a lot of tunes and more about my craft...

Its ironic though, I had a new student come over this week, look at all the wacky instruments all over the walls and be like "OMG this is the life, this is what I want to do."

Truth is at this moment, I'm frustrated, too...

I've been teaching guitar for 26 years. wow. I'm great at it-better than I am as a performer..

But I have a calling I can't ignore...

This New Years before I go out I'm making a plan...I LOVE my students, just got to having a waiting list after being in town for a year -- yet in my heart of hearts I want to ditch 90% of the private teaching and just focus on the artist career - and feel really free with it. I'm cool with the travel - whatever it takes...I have a music degree, Sony has released my loops all over the world, music has been my only source of income since college...

But getting to being a full time artist w/o a stable of local students has been a challenge that I'm about to face...I kinda had to get in to get out - build up my students so that I could have the stability to work on my act..trouble is, after 8 hours of lessons I don't feel like writing or practicing much...

So it may be a year or 2 of this before I feel ready to move on -- or maybe do tours and just teach privately as a break when I'm off the road...teaching is really mellow compared to the road!

Call me Half way there!

Takeways: anything you can tutor? It can be good money. Also, once you build something up, you may want to do something else!

Good luck on your path and let us know how it goes!

Good luck with your music!  I've just taken on my first client as an algebra tutor, my friend's 8th grade step daughter.  We'll see how it goes.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

VeganKeyes's photo was featured
14 hours ago
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
yesterday
OrganicMark posted a status
"Something Just Broke In China As Repo Rate Soars To 1,000% Overnight #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/32A0ORD"
Saturday
"Shocking News about Salem Media and the CIA #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2xTX7bz"
Friday
"Iran Offers Nuclear Deal If US Lifts Sanctions; Oil Tumbles #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2JPO80q"
Thursday
"Bank Run: Deutsche Bank Clients Are Pulling $1 Billion A Day #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2XQ3Nqr"
Thursday
Rock and Nemo are now friends
Jul 16
"#SerialBrain2 - Winning: Trump now controls the chemtrails! (Pt.2) #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2GbYV48"
Jul 15
"Housing Bubble 2.0 - Foreclosure Filing Onslaught is On the Way #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2JFxuAL"
Jul 15
Profile Iconchungculands, Deya Storm, Luke Robinson and 1 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Jul 15
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Jul 15
Tanya Popovic left a comment for Rebecca
Jul 12
Rebecca left a comment for Rebecca
Jul 12
Profile Iconcal bates, mark wilcox, Claire Hyun and 4 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Jul 11
Eddie (Mecca Date Farm) replied to Eddie (Mecca Date Farm)'s discussion Semi Dry Medjool Dates, 20 # for $67.00 US. from meccadatefarm.com
Jul 10
Eddie (Mecca Date Farm) posted a discussion
Jul 10

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service