30 Bananas a Day!

My job is driving me batty.  I don't know how much longer I can tolerate it.

Has anyone successfully left the 9-5 world behind?  Please post your inspirational stories.  Thanks.

Views: 1785

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for posting David.  I'm also back in school, and I love it!  This year I will be downsizing and minimizing my expenses.

It's not the job I hate, it's the office culture.  Maybe I'm just undercarbed.

I have the same vision you had - 4.00 and I have tried for 20 years to see without glasses and contacts. I think my vision has improved just a bit as a result and I don't need glasses to survive...but to drive I need to do so....what helped you get to 20/20?

greetings rawinreno! and welcome to 30bad!

i left it behind a long time ago though my world was not 9-5. as a teacher, i used to give long, long detentions so i'd often stay well after 5 and infringe into weekends and holidays. in fact, some of my former students are serving lifelong detentions.

in any case, i left all that many years ago when my son at the end of gr1 hired me to homeschool him till he was 20. it was an offer i couldn't refuse.

a few years ago, i reminded him that he was going to be 20 in a couple of years and asked what he was planning on doing then. with a huge smile, he said, "home university"!

so that's what we do.

you too can leave the batty job ... just make a worthwhile replacement for it.

in friendship,

prad

That is great prad, you must have a great relationship with your son now. Can I ask what you did/do about money?

Thanks for posting Prad.  I am in awe of your relationship with your son.  Must be so rewarding!

Yes, I am curious about the same as Fruitpixie !! How did you manage to sustain the two of you? That's all that's about, I guess this thread is really just to figure out how not to work in what u  don't love, and still be profitable (otherwise, why would anyone ever get into jobs they hate?).

On another note: will home University grant your son a diploma? How does it work in America? In Europe we've no homeschooling whatsoever so I'm curious about how that works!

There's plenty of home education in Europe. The UK has a home educating community numbering over 100,000 and though other European countries are far behind, there are significant home education populations in at least Ireland and France, with scattered home education communities throughout all other European countries. Spain recently hosted an all-European conference on home education. Only two countries are somewhat of an exception - Sweden and Germany, as they have essentially outlawed home education (some still persist, facing legal persecution). Hitler outlawed it in Germany in the 1930's and the law hasn't been changed since.

Spain also does not permit it for its residents, school is mandatory.

But foreigners living there like us go around the law by just not registering...

I understood the case wasn't closed, as the Spanish supreme court recently ruled that the law isn't clear about home education in Spain and will need to be clarified. Some local authorities persecute, others ignore, as far as I understand it. Some courts decide in favour of parents. And most parents fly under the radar as you say.

Local government in Andalusia rejected the law allowing home schooling. I don't know any Spaniard taking the risk of not sending their kids to official school (except for one lady, but she is on the run from her husband...), and all the ones I know finds alternative schools.

I didn't know about that amount of homeschooling in europe. I live in Portugal, and just like Stephane said about Spain, here too it is mandatory to go to school. 

fruitpixie and cbraunmuller ask about money.

the first step is to not want - following henry thoreau's idea:

"a man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone"

when wants are minimal, one's opportunities increase greatly.

additionally, it's important to appreciate the correct version of the adage which is:

"no gain. no pain." ;)

initially, we had some savings from our jobs in ontario, canada though these got severely impacted when we left everything to go to british columbia (we didn't want to bring up our son in the ontario environment). we also had support when required from my parents and a couple of friends.

i did some part-time teaching for a while at the high schools and colleges around here.

we also tried some network marketing for algae (celltech), but stopped that because we found in 1998, they were sponsoring bioassays on mice. interestingly enough the same people (different company name) contacted us at the beginning of this year wanting us to return - they'd stopped the bioassays (which shows you how dumb and political the idea was in the first place).

my wife started a rather innovative home based non-profit in 2000:

http://familycaregiverssupport.org/

it has gained national recognition and funding from various sources.

we also used up most of my pension to become debt-free.

so it was a combo of various activities umbrellaed by the 'not-wanting' principle. my son has always adhered to this principle btw:

When we tried to buy him things, the response was always "No, I don't need it" or "No, I have something like it". I think this is a child's way of saying don't clutter up my life.

http://www.towardsfreedom.com/blook/PickTures/65.html

(you may enjoy reading about "The Old Man", btw)

regarding diplomas. home university won't provide a degree directly, but there are various ways to get looneyversity credits depending on the institution. certainly the resources available for learning are far more abundant than they've ever been in the past:

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/

http://oli.web.cmu.edu/openlearning/forstudents/freecourses

this 'open source' conception is one of the major advances for education the state of which has been improving over the decades.

however, i don't think my son is too interested in a diploma.

kyron tends to figure out his own way of walking the path.

in friendship,

prad

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Peter's photo was featured
11 hours ago
Profile IconRuby, linhle11, 13thMoon and 2 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
11 hours ago
Ronnie Smith posted a blog post
12 hours ago
OrganicMark posted a status
"Trump Signs Executive Order Stripping Social Media Companies Of "Liability Shield" #awakening #peace #truth #light https://j.mp/2XcNXUL"
May 30
Profile IconDarren Newman, Makayla, Jaime Huxley Leary and 1 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
May 28
Peter posted a status
"First roller of 2020,didn't get any last year ,had a frost and I cut them back hard,then worst drought. can't remember them being so sweet."
May 26
Peter posted photos
May 26
Peter posted a status
"Could help.that should read."
May 26
Peter posted a status
"I can't remember how to post a photo if anyone couldchelp?tia"
May 26
Cassie K added a discussion to the group Self Sufficiency using Permaculture
May 24
Cassie K commented on Jay Don't Cook's group Self Sufficiency using Permaculture
May 24
Cassie K commented on Jay Don't Cook's group Self Sufficiency using Permaculture
May 24
Laura Kuchy commented on Tiff Hawkins's blog post Too Exciting
May 23
Profile IconLaura Kuchy and Peter H joined 30 Bananas a Day!
May 21
Raw Mormon Mommy posted a status
"How do I edit my profile?"
May 20
OrganicMark posted a status
"OBAMAGATE 1: CRIME OF THE CENTURY #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light https://j.mp/2WVPNbe"
May 19

© 2020   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service