30 Bananas a Day!

Hey everyone,

Sorry that I haven't been here much lately, but I recently moved to Costa Rica and didn't have steady internet access for a while.  

Instead of throwing away trash every week I saved it all until the end of the year and this video shows all of the trash that I threw away in 2012. 

So how much trash can a "minimalist" who is also on this diet throw away each year?  And just how much of it is going to be banana stickers?  LOL Watch this video and find out!

If you guys appreciate the message of this video than please share, like, comment, etc so that more people will end up seeing it. 

Views: 3652

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Awesome! What a cool vid!

Yes, please everyone, try to do this in 2013.  I want to see some videos like this next year from other 30BAD people :)

Hi Jared, really inspiring!!

I try to do my best, buying bulk helps a lot, but I can definitely do better (loads of my greens have a plastic wrap around them, I dispose them in a plastic recycle bin, but not sure what happens next). I visited England a month ago and was amazed that everything has plastic around them. They say the plastic is biodegradable in a less then two months and keeps the produce longer so it actually saves money and the environment, I haven't studied the process so I can't really say if this is true or not. I also don't get what all the fruit stickers are good for. ;)

Can you also provide us with information how, why and when you moved to Costa Rica and how you are doing there?

Thumps up! Cheers Jelle

Yeah, I know what you mean about everything being wrapped in plastic, and then they want to try to put even more plastic around it at the checkout!

"Banana Tape" was probably the heaviest thing in my collection.  I asked a produce manager about this and he told me that it's to keep the bananas from getting damaged, but I also tend to think that it's there because it will encourage customers to buy the whole hand of bananas instead of just 1 banana.

I moved to Costa Rica in October.  (I moved there to escape the cold weather and city pollution that I was living with in Columbus Ohio.) In Costa Rica there is literally zero trash to throw away.  Everything I eat is either home grown or purchased from markets that sell fruits and vegetables that don't have stickers and twist ties on them and if I do happen to have paper, cardboard, or plastic it can be taken to town to be recycled.  Heck, even the clothing that I wear can be composted...  I would like to never use a trash can ever again :)

Really interested in the Costa Rica move, have you been thinking about doing it for a while, did you just leave everything behind, family, friends, steady income?

I worked hard and saved up for a few years and then yes, I just walked away from my secure job of 15 years and moved to Costa Rica without a job or any real idea of what was going to happen.  As far as money goes, I am a "minimalist" so I don't spend as much money as most people and I am able bodied enough that I am confident that I could find a job if my money runs out and I need to make more. 

The place that I stay at in Costa Rica is an organic fruit farm called "Quintessence" and is owned by fellow 30BAD member "Carine Martine".  

Hey! We used to be neighbors -- I live in northern Kentucky.

I'm a gardener as well, so all things get composted! The boxes from the bananas

are part of my lasagna gardening experiment. I may start accumulating my trash in 2014

and do a video at the end of the year. Very inspiring!

I may start accumulating my trash in 2014 and do a video at the end of the year.

Please do!  I really hope to see someone else here do this in the near future. 

Ahh I used to live in Columbus! Winters of walking to campus were brutal.

It's amazing how many fruit stickers one can gather in a year's time.

Hey, but this can´t be all you trash from 2012 ?

You eat bananas, do you have no banana cartons, plastic wrappings and all the stuff ? Did you have no trash that was not from your food ?

In 2012 I bought tons of bananas by the case (or "cardboard case" to be more exact) and sometimes the greens I bought would be sold in plastic bags.  As I mentioned in the video anything that I recycle doesn't count as trash.  Recycling isn't perfect though and I refused to by many things this past year just because they put a ridiculous amount of plastic and packaging on it and I don't want to in any way support that. 

The end goal would of course be to eat everything homegrown and I am working on that now that I have found a new home in Costa Rica.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Frugisaurus and Alex Curtis-Slep are now friends
6 hours ago
Michael Lanfield posted a video

Return to the Gentle Sea by Michael Lanfield with Music by Dr. Will Tuttle, PhD (Full Audiobook)

Return to the Gentle Sea: For the Love That Lives in Everyone is a book on spiritual healing and cultural transformation on the human relationship to nonhuman animals. It explains how living in a herding culture, eating animals and their secretions,…
22 hours ago
Michael Lanfield commented on ednshell's video
23 hours ago
Michael Lanfield and Olga are now friends
23 hours ago
Raw Aussie Athlete and Lil Green Coconut are now friends
23 hours ago
ednshell replied to Tams's discussion Best vegan retreats ?
Saturday
ednshell posted a video

Take Back Your Power 2017 (Official) - smart meter documentary

This award-winning film documents the real story on smart meters. + Subscribe for free EMF guide & help stop 'smart' meters and 5G: https://TakeBackYourPower...
Saturday
ednshell posted a discussion
Saturday
Profile Iconmichael wilson, Savannah Holte, tori jacobs and 2 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Saturday
OrganicMark posted a status
"QE4 "Not A QE" Begins: Fed Starts Buying $60BN In Bills Per Month Beginning Next Week #awakening #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/2M9cmoQ"
Friday
Rock and Tams are now friends
Friday
Tams posted a discussion
Friday
"Powell says the Fed will start expanding its balance sheet ‘soon’ in response to funding issues #peace #truth #light http://j.mp/30Zc8ol"
Thursday
"As Hong Kong ATMs Run Out Of Cash, Central Bank Steps In To Prevent "Panic Among The Public" #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/35aHziW"
Oct 7
"Financial Crisis at PMC - India Leaves Thousands Crying For Their Money! Bank Runs Lead To Withdrawal Limits #truth http://j.mp/2oiRdPW"
Oct 7
"Economic Collapse News - The Fed Extends Repo Operations Through Nov, Retail Job Cuts 2019 #peace #truth #love #light http://j.mp/35exba7"
Oct 7

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service