30 Bananas a Day!

Hey Guys,

I'll be skipping the grey Belgium winter in October-November-December this year,
I'll be staying/working in tropical Suriname.

I was wondering if anybody lived there or had some tips for me, since I've never been there.
(I'm new to the vegan lifestyle so it could be challenging to go to a whole new country)

Also: I would normally take 'anti-malaria pills', what are your thoughts on that medication?
These are pills you need to take every morning during those 3 months

Views: 543

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

First, congrats on your upcoming warm and sunny winter!

Don't know anything about the country, but I would urge further research before consuming those pills.  View the side-effects below from only two sites, and these are only the ones they're required to tell you about.  Rest assured that a host of others lurk in silence:

Get emergency medical help if you have any of these signs of an allergic reaction: hives; difficulty breathing; swelling of your face, lips, tongue, or throat.

Call your doctor at once if you have a serious side effect such as:

• severe or uncontrolled vomiting or diarrhea;
  • fever, mouth sores;
  • problems with speech, balance, or walking;
  • severe skin rash;
  • nausea, stomach pain, loss of appetite, dark urine, clay-colored stools, jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); o
  • easy bruising, unusual bleeding (nose, mouth, vagina, or rectum), purple or red pinpoint spots under your skin.

Less serious side effects may include:

• mild stomach pain or upset stomach;
  • mild diarrhea;
  • headache;
  • mild itching;
  • weakness; or
  • dizziness.

This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.

For the Consumer

Applies to atovaquone / proguanil: oral tablet

In addition to its needed effects, some unwanted effects may be caused by atovaquone / proguanil. In the event that any of these side effects do occur, they may require medical attention.

If any of the following side effects occur while taking atovaquone / proguanil, check with your doctor or nurse as soon as possible:

Incidence not known

• Blistering, peeling, loosening of skin
  • chills
  • convulsions
  • difficulty swallowing
  • fast heartbeat
  • hives or welts
  • increased sensitivity of skin to sunlight
  • itching, redness or other discoloration of skin
  • joint or muscle pain
  • large, hive-like swelling on face, eyelids, lips, tongue, throat, hands, legs, feet, sex organs
  • loss of bladder control
  • muscle spasm or jerking of all extremities
  • puffiness or swelling of the eyelids or around the eyes, face, lips, or tongue 
  • rash
  • red, irritated eyes 
  • red skin lesions, often with a purple center
  • seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there
  • severe mental changes
  • severe sunburn 
  • shortness of breath
  • skin rash
  • sores, ulcers or white spots in mouth or on lips
  • sudden loss of consciousness
  • tightness in chest
  • unusual tiredness or weakness
  • wheezing

Now offhand, I don't know what the symptoms of malaria are, but are they really worse than this???

Look into alternatives, especially natural bug repellants.

Traveling is a wonderful thing; do your best to be safe, but focus on enjoying your adventure!

Malaria is a mosquito-borne infectious disease of humans and other animals.

Malaria causes symptoms that typically include feverfatigue,vomiting and headaches. In severe cases it can cause yellow skinseizurescoma or death.

Alot of people get Malaria and alot of people die from it (mostly poor people who can't pay medical health), but also tourists with a weak immune system or who were just too late to get help.

So it's kindof a big risk, specially me, I don't go to the hospital immediatly when I have some fever or headache...

Suriname is situated left in the red highrisk zone on these maps:

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Melissa Grace replied to Melissa Grace's discussion Vegan and Raw Vegan Eco-village(s) “Total Union”
Thursday
Paul Rodgers posted a video

Megan Elizabeth and drewmorg - vegan traitors trash high-raw-vegans

drewmorg has recently interviewed Megan Elizabeth. There was talk of Megan's diet which now includes meat, and more,
Thursday
Erick Goodman is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Thursday
Melissa Grace posted a discussion
Wednesday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Jun 10
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Jun 6
Ronnie Smith posted a blog post
Jun 4
OrganicMark posted a status
"What The Secret Space Force Really Looks Like May Surprise You! 2019-2020 #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2XovQZF"
Jun 4
ednshell replied to Silvery's discussion Is it safe to eat the water that you use to boil brocolli and cabbage?
Jun 3
OrganicMark posted a status
"INSIDERS & EXPERTS: AG BARR IS ABOUT TO DECLASSIFY DOCS THAT IMPLICATE BARRY IN THE SPYING OF TRUMP. #truth #now http://bit.ly/2wyUDyE"
Jun 2
Silvery posted a discussion
Jun 1
Silvery and Windlord are now friends
Jun 1
shaila reddy joined catalyst's group
Jun 1
Rawberry replied to Mati Manik's discussion Any 811er in Argentina?????
May 31
shaila reddy is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
May 31
May 30

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service