30 Bananas a Day!

Hi guys,
So as the title suggests, I have a 10 field trip coming up in April and it's to a tiny island in Scotland and I am beginning to stress about the changes I will have to make to my diet. The stay is at a small family run hotel, and I have specified that I am a vegan but can't expect there to be a huge variety of fresh fruit and veg avaliable. I was just wondering if any of you have experienced hotel vegan 'cuisine' - is it likely going to be deep fried and processed (worst nightmare). And what should I do if it is? I could take a back up supply of dried fruit with me (dates apricots and raisins ect) but have heard that too much dried fruit is bad for you. What would you do in my position?

Views: 133

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

lots of fresh fruits keep for ten days (apples, oranges, grapefruit, unripe bananas). Plus you could bring some uncooked oats to add to hot water if you can't bring enough fruits.

You can have grapes/melons/berries for your first day there, as they will go badly the quickest. Apples last a super long time for me, even when organic. Oranges would be rated second for this trait. They both keep very well. Buy some unripened pears for when your apples and oranges run out, as well as some very unripe bananas. Don't stress, it's just about getting the timing of ripeness right! 

Another thing to consider is, will there be a freezer in this hotel? You could "borrow" some space in there, and bring large ziplock bags filled with frozen mango, frozen nanas, frozen raspberries etc. Same goes for peas, red bell peppers, celery, cucumber and corn (if you eat that) which you can de-thaw and nibble on. Hope I helped :)

Thanks for answering both of you! What you say is great if I had enough space in my suitcase to pack all the juicy fruit, but space is definitely limited. I'm sharing a room with two other girls too, so I don't want them thinking I'm a mad woman with all the fruit they eat in a year packed into my luggage. Haha I can just imagine their faces. I guess there's no way I'm going to get enough fresh fruit in, I just hope I can still eat LFHC so I don't mess up all the progress I've made already! Will try the oat packet idea and maybe just eat dried fruit - it's better than nothing right?

I understand the limited amount of room to bring lots of fresh fruit, but don't worry about what others think of you. Even if they think you're "quirky," often times the quirkiest folks are the most charming!

And you could add your dried fruit to a small amount of hot water til they soften a bit. Could also try half oats/half dried fruit.

People won't care, the times I've eaten/brought large amounts of fruit with me people are always positive, and sometimes surprised lol. On the plus side your luggage will probably smell nice and fruity! I once opened my bag on a road trip which was full of peaches/bananas/grapefruit and it made the car smell so amazing lol :)

Would you rather go hungry or be nutrient deprived just because of what someone may think of you? Weigh your priorities here girl, are you number 1? Treat yourself like such. You have a responsibility and that is to take care of your health.

Order a case of bananas from a local healthfood store ahead of time if possible.

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

OrganicMark posted a status
"HIGH TREE-ZIN! MCKABE, LISA PAYJE & SHIFTY ADAM COLLUDED WITH FOREIGN ASSETS IN THEIR COUP ATTEMPT! #truth #light#now http://bit.ly/2VaavBZ"
yesterday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Monday
OrganicMark posted a status
"Trump Declares National Emergency To Pay For Border Wall #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2Gu5rVt"
Friday
chris jones is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Friday
Houdini Steve Owens joined M ♦'s group
Feb 13
Houdini Steve Owens left a comment for Hanyi Zhang
Feb 13
Profile IconHanyi Zhang and Maëwa joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Feb 13
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Feb 11
Reese posted a discussion
Feb 8
Olga posted a discussion
Feb 7
VeritasCurat is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Feb 7
Peter Csere posted a video

Amazon Fruit Festival 2020

Be there or eat a pear! Ecuador. January 16-22, 2020. http://www.amazonfruitfestival.com AFF 2019 was a blast. Come to AFF 2020! Tickets on sale now, starting at $475 (prices go up April 1st.)
Feb 5
Manual Pedal posted a video

Surly Ogre Long Term Review

This is a review on my new #SurlyOgre after retiring my #SurlyLongHaulTrucker. I've had this bike for several months now. I updated it with all my parts from...
Feb 5
Profile IconHolly and Olga joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Feb 5
Charlotte Pickering replied to Peter Csere's discussion Terra Frutis in Ecuador is looking for members!
Feb 5
Feb 5

© 2019   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service