This week was my beginning. I have a very long way to go.
Let me just say right off that I have never been vegan, although I have a lot of respect for the vegans I have known. I agree with a lot of what I know of the vegan way. I disagree with the way my western society has exploited and abused animals just to eat them, and eat what they want of them (exploding chicken breasts...good grief).
I'm going through a lot of changes in my thinking right now, so maybe those of you who read this will enjoy and encourage my journey. I am here, ready to change both my thoughts and actions, as I change to a vegan/raw food lifestyle.
My 2 biggest concerns about veganism are:
1) Life and death are entwined...living things all live off of other living things. Even those who are trying to only live off of plants. One of the points I've read concerning the raw food movement is to eat living things containing the energy of life.
2) I'm not sure it is sustainable for people to live only off of plant matter. Especially non-agricultural plant matter. And to grow your own food often requires the assistance of at least some kind of fertilizer. The best and most natural of these is often manure and bone meal. For many portions of the globe, it can be impossible to grow good quality fruit/veg without these things.
My action goal for this week has been simply to eat more raw fruits/veg and less meat. And I have successfully met this goal.
My thinking goal has been to investigate and learn more about living off raw food. Yep, I'm doing that also.
Next week's goals:
1) Continue to add more raw food into my eating.
2) Grab a fruit breakfast every morning...I am very inconsistent about eating breakfast.
3) Eat no meat.
1) Continue to learn about living off of raw food.
2) Find and Read at least one book on pro-veganism at the library or online.
3) Seek out and explore (I sound like Star Trek).
All suggestions and comments are welcome and encouraged as I walk this journey :)