30 Bananas a Day!

My non vegan friend is preparing for a marathon and i want to recomend him what to eat before marathon and what do drink on the marathon. He wants to replace a gel that he buys from drug store with something. He is not a vegan but this might be a great oportunity to introduce him to this. Any suggestions?

Views: 579

Replies to This Discussion

Agave and molasses are not part of my normal diet, but during a race they are a good substitute for commercial gels. I am flexible, and this is the only instance that I use them. So far, so good.

Many of the "top sportmen" around the world race infrequently and when they do race they are only interested in winning. I race once or twice every week (and occassionaly do well in my age group). My primary goal is to finish comfortably and be ready for the next race. For example, this Saturday I have a 50K, and the next day I have a half-marathon. Again, so far, so good.

I almost forgot, I am the national champion in my age group in the 40K racewalk. As they say, "90% of success is simply showing up" (and finishing). 

All I did was provide information about what works for me. I have been at this for a long time and so far, so good.

Eating fruit (both fresh and dried) either immediately before or during a race did not work for me. I had better results sparingly using my own "gels" made from items that I do not normally eat except during races.

At one time I would drink far more water than I really needed. For some people this causes hyponatremia (not dehydration).  I experimented during my training and found out how much hydration was truly necessary for me. It was somewhat less than "what I was always told".

I have not said that what others do is wrong, nor am I criticizing their theories. I have, however, tried many routines over many years, and by experimenting, I have found out what works for me. It might work for some others as well, but unless they try it, they will never know. 

I like your response Erwan. I'm all for sharing opinions using nonviolent communication and respect. I also appreciate when we respect people for experimenting on their own, thinking independently, and learning what works for them, even if it makes absolutely no sense for ourselves. I believe this because I know how it feels to have "normal" eaters use condescending and disrespectful language towards me about my 80/10/10 diet. I think the human body is extremely adaptable for extreme conditions, such as those induced by long-distance running; training the body to run off slow energy is an interesting concept.

Inexperienced runners should be taught guidelines and not absolutes. They are entitled to know all the different avenues that experienced runners take, before making their own choice.

thats all very good, however to give advise to someone who is inexperienced and looking for help/ideas from others, to drink as little as possible could very well work out to be some what dangerous, no? it was then later redefined as, having used to drink alot, then over the years altering the levels to what i found suited me, (i think it was more or less said that). which is, i think very dif advise to offer and largely very good. even though i personaly dont agree with his end conclution, (which doesnt really matter..i don't need to and nor does he need me to!  :)  i do very much agree with how he came to it; to air on the side of caution, then adjust until he found what he thinks/feels works best for him. an exercise dairy is perfect for this. in terms of electrolytes, i'll have celery and cucumber, ether whole or juiced, for cals dates and maybe the odd banana. i havn't yet tried making a 'glue' as of yet as i haven't felt the need. if i were to id probs use the same foods as above to do so. 

we can all interpret ppls words, (even more so in type) as we see fit. however leaving gaps that could very easily lead to dangerous situations like dehydration to personal interpretation which is greatly dependent on experience of the subject at hand, which is the whole point the question in the first place is careless. a point at which i thought best to draw attention to for everybodies sake...becasuse it wouldn't be my bad, (i can always eat/drink) it would be some other poor fools!

Honey+maca+spirulina+sheep's oil+ground coffee. Process it into a paste.

Just kidding! Totally disgusting.

Date paste! I really like tamarind, a fruit from the pea plant. It has a lovely flavor and similar texture to dates. You can process or blend them together. Tasty and similar to Mexican tamarind candy, which I used to like a lot. You can make it a similar texture to GU.

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

Latest Activity

Milos Stepita replied to Milos Stepita's discussion Anyone has job in tropics?
16 minutes ago
Profile IconClay Arwine, Ali Olive, xoxoMandarinGirl and 11 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
36 minutes ago
Amandine Muskus commented on Louel's group The Netherlands & Belgium
39 minutes ago
Poppy Gregory is now friends with Ali Olive and Mikey Quark
40 minutes ago
Justin W replied to Philip jones's discussion Go fruit yourself hoodie
57 minutes ago
The Plant Based Cyclist posted a discussion
1 hour ago
Cassy replied to xoxoMandarinGirl's discussion Hello Fruit LOVERS :) - Anyone from London? / Restaurant Tips?
1 hour ago
Profile IconAli Olive and Mel Devlin joined Anna's group
1 hour ago
Alexis Griffus posted a photo
1 hour ago
Alexis Griffus posted a blog post
1 hour ago
Patricia and Lilly are now friends
1 hour ago
Gianni replied to elizabeth's discussion how much calcium do we REALLY need?
2 hours ago
Patricia replied to Patricia's discussion Persuading your parents to let you go vegan! in the group Young-uns
2 hours ago
Carolina Antonia replied to elizabeth's discussion how much calcium do we REALLY need?
2 hours ago
xoxoMandarinGirl posted a discussion
2 hours ago
sleeponthegrass replied to sleeponthegrass's discussion New and looking for some advice...
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service