30 Bananas a Day!

Hi all!
I'm new here and am looking for organic local produce. Any info on good farmers markets? Or farms?
Thanks!

Views: 1486

Replies to This Discussion

I'd really like to know this too. I may be moving to Oahu for grad school in the summer! :) Also a n00b to the website as well as the lifestyle. 

Hi all, guess ill respond to my initial question. I've been living in Honolulu for 5 months and so far have not found any good farmers markets, I know, it's really disappointing :-( if its not labeled "organic" it scares me. So anyway... I have been doing my shopping (mostly) at Foodland but also Safeway and Whole Foods. It is about 30% more expensive here than the mainland. My brother was just here visiting and I took him to Foodland to buy his produce for juices for 3 days and it was $90. That's 1 juice a day for 2 people, just crazy expensive. Hope you guys enjoy Hawaii!
Yeah it is. The IM Farmers market is just ok. I'm sure you'll do fine, they just don't have much bulk, try to get there as soon as they open. I'm curious what you think about it. Bananas are about $1.19/lb, not bad. I would suggest Costco or Sams Club if you have a membership. Sams isn't that far, you could take the bus

I think it's best to join a CSA.  Ma'o has a reasonably priced organic program.  If you explain your diet with them, they can probably work out a deal where you get more fruit than greens and veggies.  If you're looking to buy in bulk on a regular basis, you should get in touch with the folks at Poamoho (http://poamoho-organic.com). They're really nice and they sell direct from their farm, so they might be able to cut you a deal.  It's a lot easier on the big island....

Thanks Alicia! I cannot get into the Poamoho Organic website, do you have their number per chance? Thanks!

Prices are TOUGH here. I've found the most affordable produce here on the west side at a little Filipino wholesale shop called Jimmy's Wholesale Seafood and Produce (in Waipahu). UH Manoa has some produce sales around campus Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. If you're in Honolulu, Kapiolani Community College has a big farmers market Saturday before 11am. There is also one at the same time on Kapahulu in Waikiki. Aloha!

Thanks Wendy!

Manoa and Waikiki Farmers Markets have the most local produce. The other ones cater more towards people wanting to eat plate lunches.

RSS

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Rachel Rosen is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
5 hours ago
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
23 hours ago
Scooby the Cantaloupe Kid replied to Mikaela's discussion Thinking about going completely raw
yesterday
Theastrobuddhist posted a status
"Getting ready for my morning run then a 15banana smoothie"
yesterday
Matiss Vijups posted discussions
yesterday
fruity78 commented on Marina's group I'm single, you're single. Let's mingle!
Sunday
Plant Based Senior's photo was featured
Friday
Profile IconTheastrobuddhist, Megan Marie, skyler choudhary and 3 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Friday
Ben Trovato posted videos
Friday
OrganicMark posted a status
"Bitcoin Futures And The Need For Control #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2BSsFPE"
Thursday
Peter posted a status
"been busy,just finished picking 2 tonne approx. of yummy stonefruit ,I had to feed a lot to the geese there was so much,will postphoto soon"
Thursday
Ed Foulds and Love Banana are now friends
Wednesday
Ben Trovato replied to Mikaela's discussion Thinking about going completely raw
Dec 6
Ben Trovato posted a status
"New videos"
Dec 6
Ben Trovato posted a status
"Persimmons biatch"
Dec 6
Mikaela posted a discussion