30 Bananas a Day!

I'm on a pretty tight budget. I know bananas and dates have the most bang for their buck, but what else can I do? I'm trying to do a salad every day. What else can I add that's cheap and will give me variety and nutrients that I need? All suggestions are appreciated!

Views: 247

Replies to This Discussion

I find boxes of oranges and pears are very cheap.  I'm in Australia and bought a box of Valencias recently for $12.95 (10Kgs) and box of pears for $10 (9 kgs I think).  They also seem to last a long time, so you can use them up over a couple of weeks and they don't go off.

:)

Thanks! I hadn't thought about pears. :) I bet they'd be good sliced up into a salad.

Definitely bananas as you wrote.

Oranges are great and usually quite cheap. I buy lots of apples(or pears) because they're cheap and taste sweet and juicy:)

I buy cucumbers,tomatoes and iceberg lettuce for my salads, very simple but satisfying. 

Just seek for good prices and never ever starve yourself, if you can't get enough calories from raw fresh fruit you can have 100% juice. I sometimes buy organic pear juice and it taste very nice, it's cheap and gives me about 500 kcals for one bottle.

How does free sound for your budget? Go Dive, sister!!!

If you can get past a few societal hang-ups about it, something like this could be yours, free, and as much as you want.

http://www.30bananasaday.com/video/april-fool-s-dive

And if free sounds like it works for your budget, I've got loads of info on how to get started here:

http://www.30bananasaday.com/group/raw-freegan-divers

We're often on a tight budget, too and yet we get an over-abundance! We get so much I have to give lots away, and take goodies to the food pantry. Imagine organic apples, oranges, pears, berries, papayas, melons, romaine...more than you can shake a stick at! (Whatever that means!)

And when that's all free, you can comfortably use your budget for the things seldom found at dives, like coconuts and avocados.

Also, dived food keeps you on your toes because it's usually perfectly ripe, so you gotta use it up. = ) I've found it even encourages mono-meals! And if something goes bad before you could get to it, you don't have to feel guilty about it like you would if you had spent money on it.

= )

Good luck! 

Tania

More dived:

I hadn't thought about that. I guess I'd have to research that option a bit more. I used to work at Safeway and they kept their dumpsters locked up so people couldn't get into them, so I'm not sure how to go about doing something like that.

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service