30 Bananas a Day!

If you're eating 30 bananas a day, you know what a rash of banana trash you're leaving behind... so I was searching for a way not to waste the peels. I intend to garden, but am not, yet, so it's not feasible to start a compost heap now. Solution?

Dehydrate them and grind them into powder for long term storage. Someone on youtube has already made a video on this. Even if you don't intend to garden, perhaps you could sell it at farmer's market as fertilizer, or at the very least, reduce landfill waste since instead of having twenty pounds of solid peel, you have a much smaller mass of waste you're throwing out.

Views: 721

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dehydrating them will take a lot of power, so I question how environmentally friendly it would be.

Not necessarily. A number of raw vegans use dehydrators regularly to prepare their meals- how is using it to dehydrate banana peels for use as fertilizer any less environmentally friendly. If anything, if they double up usage by dehydrating the peels along with their meals- it becomes more efficient. You can build a solar dehydrator as well to dehydrate using ABSOLUTELY no electrical power at all.

It will take less power than running a computer, per se, she adds pointedly, tired of people claiming to not use electricity on environmental grounds when they using it to argue against doing something for the environment.

If you can use the solar power - than by all means.

Otherwise, the less electricity we use - the better, and I only said it because I felt that you wanted to make the best possible decision in this case.

Of course there are raw vegans who dehydrate their meals but it's not really healthy and not promoted here, I believe.

just throw them in somebody elses compost them i am sure they would appreciate it so long as you take off the stickers

That also a good option. For people like me, however, who get trash pick up only once a week and don't much like having seven huge bags of banana peels sitting inside the house and don't have friends with composts- I am suggesting this option.

lid

Condescension.

haha!! 

I had never thought about it actually.  I don't garden and I normally throw them away.  Great thoughts here. 

.... You're city doesn't have yard waste?  Where I live I just put the bananas in the yard waste bin and the city composts it all.  It's awesome, but we've only had it for a few years.

Sadly, no. In my city, we have garbage pick up on Mondays, and recycables on Thursdays- and because it is an automated system, if it doesn't fit the bins they've given us, it doesn't get picked up. Added to, the home owner's association does not allow trash to sit outside except during pick up. So I've found a need to be inventive.

If you can, just bury them in the grass or dirt at a city park. I don't have a lawn/green area so this is always a viable option when I'm stuck with compost that I don't want to go to waste. Just don't cause a raucous with the animals who will fight you for the remains. ;)

Another option would be to contact your local environmental group-- out in NYC there's the Lower East Side Ecology Center that visits Union Square's Farmer's Market each week and collects buckets of compost. You can always freeze the compost and take it to one of these centers. They'll put it to good use if you can't! :)

A good reusable empty paint bucket can contain these remains quite well too! 

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service