30 Bananas a Day!

Recently I read that it is good to have about 4 savory recipes in your rotation. Any ideas?

Views: 2018

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not sure how savory it is but I really love to make kale salad with sort of a sweet and spicy dressing.
I basically chop of kale, then mash all the other ingredients into it until the kale is wilted. I use a juicy, ripe mango, avocado, jalapeno, and green onion for the base, then add whatever else I like to that. The "dressing" is really thick and gooey. I used to add tamari, but now I like it with a squeeze of lemon juice. YOu can make it as simple or complex as you like depending on what's in the fridge. The longer you massage it, the mo betta it is!
I love avocado, tomatoes, and okras diced together. Sounds simple but the flavours are so savoury and yummy when they come together!
I just made the most amazing savory soup. I was making a salad, and I couldn't chew it because my teeth are so sensitive, so I blended it up. It turned out to be the best savory raw soup I have ever made:

1 ear sweet corn
1 sm salad avocado (or maybe 1/4 or a regular sized one)
1/2 bunch cilantro
1 jalapeno, seeded, or equivalent of whatever hot pepper you like (I actually used a slice of some kind of dark green, pointed, large mexican pepper that tastes like a jalapeno)
1/2 green bell pepper
1 green onion (i used the kind with the round bulb)
juice from one tangelo (you could probably throw the whole thing in minus seeds and skin) an orange would work too

That's it! Just blend it up. I didn't have to add any spices or anything. It's perfect. Hooray for accidental awesomeness and not being able to chew well!
Got this one off a video. I think it's Dr David Jubb's recipe:

Jicama Rice

1 large jicama, peeled & pulsed in food processor until rice-like
1 large cauliflower, chopped in FP until rice like
Large bunch of parsley, chopped in FP (I usually put the parsley in small bunch with the chunks of jicama and cauliflower. It seems to help it chop better).
1 lemon (what I do, is I trim off the yellow, cut in half, then just chop it up with the jicama/cauliflower. DJ just juices his and pours the juice on. I prefer the whole lemon)
(DJ addition: Way too much bottled olive oil, and a LOT of soaked sunflower seeds. I skip the oil, and greatly reduce the seeds)

Mix it all together, and toss a FEW soaked sunflower seeds on top if desired. Or, you can use this as a base for fresh tomato 'salsa', which I make by throwing a few roma tomatoes, some red pepper, and a chopped cucumber, along with cilantro (if you like it) in the FP, and pulsing until chunky-smooth. I'm a fan of onions and garlic, so I add those to my salsa, but if you don't use them, it's okay. Oh, and we also like throwing a peeled Kiwi into the salsa. Wow, makes a nice sweet punch to it!
this sounds so good. I cant wait to be done with this fast so I can get down on some of these recipes :)
"Potato Salad" adapted from Matthew Kenney's Everyday Raw.

2 cups jicama (or cauliflower)
1/4 cup dice yellow pepper
1/4 cup diced celery
1T minched fresh rosemary (opt)
1/4 avocado, mashed
1/4 red onion, thin sliced
-combo all into bowl (if done ahead of time then just cover and refrigerate)
--->I'm really lazy when it comes to cutting so I just threw it all in the processor. I also threw other leftover stuff in there.

"Potato Salad Dressing"
2T tahini
1/4t ground cumin
1.5 T lemon juice
2T water
2T fresh parsley or dill (I prefer dill)
1/4t onion or nama shoyu (if you aren't super strict)
-blend till smooth
-it doesn't make much but is just enough for the salad above
-pour over salad
-say a blessing
-Enjoy!!

Nice..sounds really good. 

OH MY I love savory veggie stews with some Karmyn on top of that

My favorite is just 1 avocado and 1 tomato chopped up in a bowl.

Loving this last page of recipes! Winning!

Okay, I realized I had a good one...this is my favorite:

Grapes about 1/2 a blender worth

Celery chopped up small

Lettuce

Lemon or Lime, peel and throw the whole thing in piece by piece about 2-3 whole fruits

blend the grapes and celery with a little bit of water...add in lettuce until your blender if full, but keep it chunky, add in lemon or lime, then chop up some pieces of lettuce put in your bowl and pour the soup over it...add tomato or bell pepper to garnish and I've also added apricot and nectarine on top, it is soo delish.

This reminds me of green salsa, so I'm thinking of using it in lettuce wraps as a taco filling too, or with nachos, using jicama chips.

Gazpacho:
4 tomatoes
1/2 to 3/4 cucumber
1 red bell pepper
handful spring onions (optional)
stick or two of celery
a little water or savoury juice (like carrot/celery) to help smooth it

(all blended)

Wraps:

Salsa: tomatoes, coriander, lime juice, red bell pepper and spring onion (optional)
A small amount of guacamole: avocado, lime juice
Rolled up in romaine leaves

Crudites (carrots, celery, cucumber, bell peppers, baby corn etc) and a salsa dip or other kind of dip

Giant "dinner" salads- mixed leaves, chunks of cucumber, spiralised carrot, tomatoes, beetroot, celery, mixed sprouts dressed with lemon or lime juice

Raw vegan sushi: seaweed sheets, processed parsnip (for the rice), cucumber or peppers as the filling and some kind of savoury paste to stick the parsnip to the sheets i.e. softened avocado. This is an old raw vegan recipe I used to use- not sure if even "raw" Nori sheets are truly raw so might not be 811...

bump. savory

RSS

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Alex Curtis-Slep posted a video

November 11th Fruitluck Montage

We had a nice group at Maximo Park for a Fruitluck! The weather in St. Pete was great and so was the fruit! Mangoes, golden kiwi, grapes and much more! If yo...
11 hours ago
Ben Trovato posted videos
11 hours ago
Kate Mills is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
11 hours ago
I'm 100% RAW:) and frugivore. posted a discussion
yesterday
I'm 100% RAW:) and frugivore. replied to Sérgio Filipe Meireles Soares's discussion Fruit Diet doubt
yesterday
Rawberry replied to Rawberry's discussion Poop like sand?
Thursday
ednshell replied to Rawberry's discussion Poop like sand?
Thursday
Rawberry posted a discussion
Thursday
Wednesday
LRoland is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Wednesday
Toby Nwazor is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Monday
ednshell commented on Cassie K's blog post I grew a LOT of food this year on less land
Monday
ednshell commented on Plant Based Senior's video
Monday
Monday
Alexa's photo was featured
Monday
ednshell replied to Eli's discussion What's up guys? Seeking raw vegan support system
Monday

© 2017   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service