30 Bananas a Day!

Hey guys,

so i know that once you get to a tropical place it is next to nothing to live day to day, but plane tickets are keeping me from getting my little butt anywhere new and exciting and fruit-filled this summer, which i really, really want to do.

one of my good friends went to the fruit fest last year and he said that he met many people who traveled around the world in very cleaver ways for next to nothing... so what are YOUR SECRETS?

i would love to know :)

i would absolutely love to get to asia, but honestly i would like to go anywhere new and warm and fruity...

Tags: 80/10/10, 811rv, fruit, thailand, travel, tropical

Views: 516

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

asian here. From the Philippines! :D

?

Haven't been in the tropics for long (was in Dominica last month), but having someone in your family or a close friend that works for an airline really helps :)

Awesome idea!  Now to somehow gain airline-employed relatives....

The earlier you buy your tickets the better, but I'm in the same boat as you this year (trying NOW to get somewhere SOON) so feel your pain.  I know some people do standby where they take the seats of last-minute cancellations, but it seems as though you need a pretty flexible and open schedule for that one.  Wish I had more ideas!  You say you've heard some from others; anything you care to share?  Jajaja.  I'm trying to get to Hawaii or Mexico myself this July but would like either cheap travel or stay...or both, of course.  XD

Good luck, Hannah!

wow, that's great! i do have a friend whose dad is a pilot and she is always flying first class as well...interesting idea! but i think i'm too passionate about art and teaching yoga to switch over to flight attendant :)

Where did you plan on visiting? I'm from the Caribbean, St. Lucia. :) Hope you enjoy where ever you go.

i would honestly love to go anywhere warm and fruity that i can travel cheaply to :)

Have you heard of WWOOFing? It stands for World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms. It allows you to work voluntarily on the farms of your choice anywhere around the world. Food and shelter is provided in exchange for your labour (4-6 hrs a week and weekends off). So basically, all you have to worry about expense-wise is flight costs and a work visa (in certain countries). Check out their website! :-)

Yes i have! i would lo

If you're looking for cheap plane tickets, I'd suggest being way flexible and checking the price of flights every.single.day. 

Also, be creative with your routing! Your best, cheapest hubs into Asia are the airports in China and India (namely New Delhi), always from Los Angeles (LAX). China Eastern tends to have good prices into Asia. Once you get a good price for those legs, look for cheap routes from the China or India airport.

For instance, don't type into Kayak.com, "Oklahoma to Kuala Lumpur." You'll probably get an insanely expensive ticket. So instead, find the cheapest flight from OKC to LAX. Then search from LAX into India or China. THEN look for the price from India to Malaysia. Actually no--keep your destination flexible and search for steals, such as a $45 ticket from Delhi to Colombo.   

Tuesdays are often the cheapest days to fly. The best day to search for plane tickets is, if I remember, Thursday. Don't book flights during the weekend, and don't search for flights on weekends, either (airlines are always adjusting their prices higher or lower--often by the second). 

Be willing to endure long layovers for the best price if you're doing what I recommend, which is piecemealing your ticket together. It'll be worth it!

AWESOME tips, Simplicity!  I made it to Thailand more economically by having a ten-hour layover in Manila (though I was stuck in the airport that had limited mangoes and seemingly nothing else but cheese and bread; not much was eaten during that stay, jaja.  That's what traveling companions are for, right?).

China Eastern listed the cheapest prices when I was looking for tickets to Thailand, but my friend and I could never get the sale to complete.  It was really strange!  We emailed the airline about it (secretly hoping to be comped two free tickets), but they lagged on replying, PLUS their response wasn't helpful, anyway.  That was just the one experience with them, though.  If it means cheaper travel, I'm all for it!  After flying EasyJet, I have no flying standards.  XD!

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

Latest Activity

Annabella replied to Vanessa Soldano's discussion Can't finish my daterade
9 minutes ago
Annabella replied to Madeline Stoffer's discussion Digestion
17 minutes ago
HR posted a status
"Hav you guys heard of the illegal dog meat trade in Thailand at the moment? There is a petition going round on soi dogs"
20 minutes ago
Ronan commented on BananaJoe's group The Cyclists
41 minutes ago
Profile IconDutchFlower, mary parikh, Vittoria Merlino Dentice and 11 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
46 minutes ago
Johanna Banana replied to Johanna Banana's discussion Traveling the world and want to get to know you!
49 minutes ago
Profile IconCara D, Porcha and 2 other members joined TheBananaGirl's group
51 minutes ago
Cara D and Lynn Panther are now friends
59 minutes ago
Stephy801010 replied to Sage of Dissolution's discussion Unsurprising results
1 hour ago
Alexis Griffus posted a discussion
1 hour ago
Alexis Griffus replied to growhealthykids's discussion They called DCS on us for feeding our kids 811 HCLFR VEGAN!! Teacher crosses the line and pays for them to have school lunch against our wishes.
1 hour ago
Alexis Griffus replied to Sage of Dissolution's discussion Unsurprising results
1 hour ago
Alexis Griffus replied to Moonchild's discussion RT4: Need some help
2 hours ago
mary parikh posted a status
2 hours ago
Pure Vegan posted a discussion
2 hours ago
Ginny Fox replied to Moonchild's discussion RT4: Need some help
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by