30 Bananas a Day!

I opened up a young coconut today and saw that the flesh inside was purplish in color. The water was also purplish. I used it anyway because when I tasted it it tasted fine. Has anyone else experienced this? Is that normal? I hope I'm not poisoning myself! 

Views: 13100

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should be fine-- I work in a restaurant where where thwack tons of coconuts and we often get purple ones. They taste just fine and you don't feel any different!

I've heard it's related to the fungicide they dip them in when they are imported into the country. I've cracked open 100's of coconuts in hawaii, central america, and all over south east asia and not once was one purple inside, nor had anyone else seen it outside of imported ones.

HI

I was told that the inside of a young coconut will turn pink or purple when a fungus or mold starts to grow inside the coconut.  And that when you chose a coconut you just need to be extra careful that there are no cracks where the fungus can enter.  Sometimes the meat is super thin and it can seem discoloured but when you pour the water out it is clear and that is okay, but I would avoid any that are purple.

------

Avoid drinking the water or eating the meat from a young coconut that is even slightly pink on the inside.

http://www.produceoasis.com/Items_folder/Fruits/young-coconuts.asp

------

This one has pictures of bad coconuts

http://www.elliottback.com/wp/bad-young-coconut/

-----

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

Latest Activity

Salome D's photo was featured
35 minutes ago
Lynnette and AJG are now friends
42 minutes ago
Hailey Johnson replied to Hailey Johnson's discussion Beating the Flu = Carb Up?
46 minutes ago
Haven Raye replied to millie goldsmith's discussion 15 years old and in need of nutritional advice on this lifestyle
50 minutes ago
Jeff Conway replied to Sasha's discussion Weight Gain.
53 minutes ago
Dr Joberry Sweet replied to ♥ AimeeLovesYou's discussion Spring Into Action! Log your training here :)
55 minutes ago
Dr Joberry Sweet replied to ♥ AimeeLovesYou's discussion Spring Into Action! Log your training here :)
57 minutes ago
Jeff Conway replied to Hailey Johnson's discussion Beating the Flu = Carb Up?
1 hour ago
Paul Newcomb and TheHappyGreenGirl are now friends
1 hour ago
Paul Newcomb replied to Hailey Johnson's discussion Beating the Flu = Carb Up?
1 hour ago
Swon replied to Tania's discussion So I brought *dates* to a byob party
1 hour ago
Profile IconBabyD, Lucy and Bobbel joined 30 Bananas a Day!
1 hour ago
I'm 100% RAW:) and frugivore. posted a discussion
1 hour ago
Haven Raye commented on Karri Underwood's blog post Resistance to veganism in the ones you love
1 hour ago
Michael Lanfield commented on Michael Lanfield's blog post The Interconnectedness of Life now available at BARNS & NOBLE
1 hour ago
Michael Lanfield commented on Michael Lanfield's blog post The Interconnectedness of Life now available at BARNS & NOBLE
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service