30 Bananas a Day!

I opened up a young coconut today and saw that the flesh inside was purplish in color. The water was also purplish. I used it anyway because when I tasted it it tasted fine. Has anyone else experienced this? Is that normal? I hope I'm not poisoning myself! 

Views: 14380

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You should be fine-- I work in a restaurant where where thwack tons of coconuts and we often get purple ones. They taste just fine and you don't feel any different!

I've heard it's related to the fungicide they dip them in when they are imported into the country. I've cracked open 100's of coconuts in hawaii, central america, and all over south east asia and not once was one purple inside, nor had anyone else seen it outside of imported ones.

HI

I was told that the inside of a young coconut will turn pink or purple when a fungus or mold starts to grow inside the coconut.  And that when you chose a coconut you just need to be extra careful that there are no cracks where the fungus can enter.  Sometimes the meat is super thin and it can seem discoloured but when you pour the water out it is clear and that is okay, but I would avoid any that are purple.

------

Avoid drinking the water or eating the meat from a young coconut that is even slightly pink on the inside.

http://www.produceoasis.com/Items_folder/Fruits/young-coconuts.asp

------

This one has pictures of bad coconuts

http://www.elliottback.com/wp/bad-young-coconut/

-----

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

Latest Activity

pradtf replied to Veganic's discussion Do you think I should quit catch & release fishing without bait?
14 minutes ago
nannerjunkies posted a discussion
27 minutes ago
Veganic replied to Veganic's discussion Do you think I should quit catch & release fishing without bait?
37 minutes ago
Veganic posted a discussion
41 minutes ago
pradtf replied to els wageveld's discussion really doubting this lifestyle
1 hour ago
Veganic replied to Veganic's discussion Do you think I should quit catch & release fishing without bait?
1 hour ago
Christo replied to Jes C.'s discussion IBS and Fructose Malabsorption
1 hour ago
Veganic replied to Hollyann's discussion Why are Non-Vegan Guys so mean?
1 hour ago
Peter's photo was featured
1 hour ago
Mellow replied to Superchef's discussion Full too quickly! in the group Beginners in a fruitarian/raw vegan lifestyle
2 hours ago
Mellow and Diane L are now friends
2 hours ago
brina replied to Veganic's discussion Do you think I should quit catch & release fishing without bait?
3 hours ago
Georgia Scott replied to William McClellan's discussion Can we stop calling all other animals animals?
4 hours ago
Dr Joberry Sweet replied to ♥ AimeeLovesYou's discussion Spring Into Action! Log your training here :)
4 hours ago
Georgia Scott replied to els wageveld's discussion really doubting this lifestyle
4 hours ago
Sarah B posted a discussion
4 hours ago

© 2015   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service