30 Bananas a Day!

Needing a place to stay? House-sitting can be a cheap way to travel...

Myself & DR regularly housesit and it's a great way to see the world and save money, this is the company we go with, they have been great so far...
HomeCarers
I stayed in one beautiful place for 2months, in the tropics, near the beach, free internet, rent, electricity etc, had the house to myself and lots of free time (I actually put up 30BaD during this time) I ended up saving a lot of money.

Feel free to ask me anymore questions about house-sitting
Lovefree

more about house-sitting (& pics of the place I stayed in here)

Views: 3798

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

oh yeh the lychees are killer!
Woohoo got the place! Nice people and pets :-)

Here is some house-sitting tips from Rose and Ken...

We have been actively house sitting for 2½ years, have enjoyed the experiences, loved the animals with a passion and offer some hints for those considering house sitting or looking for sitters. We have not found any other guidelines and the following are our personal thoughts that may help.

TRUST IS A MAJOR FACTOR for both the sitter and house owner. No money changes hands and in the majority of cases beloved pets are a main feature of house sitting.

OUR AIMS are:

To provide a caring and loving environment for pets

To care for the property and gardens as we would our own

To get to know and be involved with local communities

To hand back a pet sad to see us go but pleased his people are home and a house and garden in as good or better condition than when we took over.

WHAT WE DO

ANSWER EMAILS PROMPTLY even if you can’t accommodate a request and sometimes this can be several a week. We were amazed that people do not reply.

OFFER REFERENCES although we have found they are rarely taken up.

IF YOU CAN DO A SIT there will probably be a few emails and phone calls and a chance to get to know each other.

We endeavour to meet our “sittees” before the requested date for a few reasons:

Ensuring we are suitable for their needs

To meet the pets

To arrange a hand over (can be at this visit) before they leave and a time for us to arrive on the hand over day. Most are off on overseas travel and we fel the last thing anyone needs before the flight is a handover and get to know you session.

For us to feel comfortable with the environment. We have never had a problem but have heard an odd horror story.

To leave a check list to be filled out prior to our arrival for hand over. This includes pet routines, emergency contact numbers, services, mail forwarding, position of water, power, gas mains and pumps.

PET FOOD is usually left to cover the length of holiday or regular pre paid arrangements made for fresh food supplies. If we need to buy we keep dockets.

CAR TRAVEL we check if the dogs are seasoned travellers and some have done a lot of site seeing with us.

VOLUNTEER ROSTERS we are happy to fill in for Meals on Wheels, Op shops etc. Get to know the locals this way.

WE SUPPLY all our own food (replace anything borrowed from freezer or pantry), personal needs, laundry needs.

WE USE house linen

House phone for local calls only. STD and O/S calls are made from pre paid cards or our mobile

Power and water as economically as we can

Cleaning products left or our own preferred items as there are not always supplies available. We have created a “sitting cleaning bag” over the time.

Gardening equipment. Ken usually adds a plant or two before he leaves.

Computer, mainly word processing. Some leave us some internet access

IF A BUSINESS IN INVOLVED we keep a running sheet of messages and a spreadsheet of finances. We will bank if required, arrange staff, do bookings, etc.

HOUSEHOLD INSURANCE most people let their insurance company know about house sitters caring for their property.

WE DO NOT give out phone contacts, unless requested to do so. We take messages, make the contact ourselves and hand on the message.

ON DEPARTURE DAY

Linen is changed and at least washed and on the line

We have a cuppa ready

We hand over, have a chat and leave that day. We feel that on return people need to do their own thing and we are ready to travel on.

We keep in touch with most families and visit when back in their areas. We are keen photographers and have some fantastic pet reference snaps.

We have a post box in Queensland and arrange our own mail redirections.

We do ask prospective “sittees” about caravan storage as we are Grey Nomads with our caravan “on our backs” If we cannot keep the van at the property we do ask the “sittees” to advise us on storage facilities in their area.

Happy Sitting it’s a wonderful way to meet people and enjoy community spirit

Rosemarie and Ken Penney, Australia, Aug 2004

Looks like somewhere near Tamborine? I'm in Burleigh at the moment enjoying the glorious weather and abundant stone fruit :)

What about transportation, does the homeowner pay for flights and what do you usually get paid, also on the house sitters website do you think its worth it to pay the $50 to be able to contact people Im poor so this will be an investment lol.

I need chihuahua sitter nanny once a month maybe two weeks washington state, small town with cows and horses and organic market nearby

Hi there are you still looking for a sitteR?

Hi there! How are you doing? Would love to help you out, do you still need someone? 

Thanks!

Wow that sounds amazing!  Too bad I already own a house and am married with children  :)  Sounds like it would be a wonderful experience.

Sounds cool!

If you're house-sitting, what do you do to make money? (you mentioned "save money")...curious.  (Outside of 30BaD donations :P)

Very curious, as this is a very tempting lifestyle!

Thank you It's a good idea.
in UK  u know  something  like this?!
OMFG this is great. Thank you so MUCH!!!

RSS

30BaD Search

© 2017   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service