30 Bananas a Day!

It was Father's Day here yesterday and that's what she got me.

I'm very disappointed ;-(

I'm Vegan (have been for say 9 years) after being a Vegetarian for 17 years.

She's almost Vegan apart from eating Salmon (I nag her about it) in Sushi.

Our boys are Vegetarian apart from fish (not my choice for them).

Does she not get that I don't want to have any part of animals being killed or harmed?!

I thanked her - unenthusiastically.

My old wallet is falling apart. Do I use this one? Do I rub her nose in the fact that she hasn't got  a major part of my ethos? Do I not use it - it exists afterall?

Views: 160

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think you could tell her gently that you appreciate the gift but that you would feel uncomfortable using it and would she understand if you returned and picked out a vegan wallet.  This way she will not buy any more non vegan things for you.  And a wallet isn't too sentimental so not such a big deal as something in the future might be, so a fairly easy preventative step you could take here. ;)

Good advice

With all due respect you sound like the type of guy who gives raw fooders and vegans a bad name. " Nagging" your wife because she eats salmon and acting like some victim because she gave you a leather wallet are a great way to become very unpopular. Live and let live. Lighten up and quit laying your trip on others.

Oh yeah!! Being popular is exactly why vegans are vegans. Also, Paul, never forget: if somebody gives you the ax to slaughter somebody - you wouldn't want to look weird by refusing it. Vegans are all about social integration. Live and let live. Sit down and put your blinds on!

My guess Timothy - you aren't married right?

I was and we now raise our daughter in different homes. I too nagged on my ex and all it did was cause problems . Nobody likes being nagged. She has the right to eat salmon just like you have the right not to. Do you like being nagged. Also no one appreciates a martyr. Be grateful she thought enough of you to get you a present at all. If I got someone a present and they rubbed my nose in the fact that I didn't get it right for any reason, it might be the last present they ever got from me.  Ednshell gave some good advice on how to handle the wallet issue. 

Receiving a present is what life is all about. What's more to think about?! Who cares if animals are brutally murdered and treated like dirt so one can keep some paper in it? It's not like Paul mentioned in the original post that he is vegan and he doesn't want to kill animals.

Veganism it's not a social justice philosophy that sees animals as having the same fundamental rights as humans do, but actually it is just like loving the color blue or pink. She has the right to wear blue just like you have the right not to wear it.

You know what vegans should do?! Is use vegan-haters' pathetic arguments against each other. Hey Paul, cave man used leather. Bacon!

Sorry about my sarcasm. Arrogance breeds arrogance.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not for routinely nagging somebody. I'm for explaining how important veganism is for the animals. Veganism is not about people - it's about animals. Ednshell advice is the best way to go. Accepting a non-vegan present is not veganism. You're complicit and you're contributing to the mass murder of animals just like non-vegans do. She should accept this thing about you - just like you accept her killing salmon, even though she knows you care about the salmon she just killed. Thanking her unenthusiastically is what really creates relationship problems: keeping !@#$ buried that breeds more !@#$.

If you are a person who doesn't support animals being killed or harmed, then accepting a gift made with animals is not you. Ideally you want to say immediately "I am vegan, and I don't support the exploitation of animals" (or something like that). If someone brings me a ham sandwich or something, I don't take it and figure out what to do with it later, I say "no thanks, I'm vegan". Like Tim said, the nagging is not constructive. It's best not to tell people around you how to live. Instead, you want to show them how to live, and perhaps tell them why you enjoy your life the way you live it if they are inquisitive. Don't let someone else' problem bother you. You need to enjoy being a vegan or no-one around you will think it's a good idea. So your wife kills fish, that's her problem, don't let it affect you.

RSS

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

ednshell commented on VeganKeyes's photo
1 hour ago
VeganKeyes's photo was featured
1 hour ago
Profile Iconmidbananacrisis, Michael M, Cornell Benson and 1 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
1 hour ago
Alex Curtis-Slep posted videos
1 hour ago
Ben Trovato posted a video

Drew Canole - FitLifeTV - Deconstructing The Trend - Episode 7

Drew Canole FitLifeTV - #DeconstructingTheTrend - unreasonable expectations being tacitly conveyed to young men, six pack abs, Red Juice, juicing, carbs, veg...
1 hour ago
Milos Stepita posted a discussion
5 hours ago
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Sep 14
ryan mcneace replied to Catherine G-E's discussion Desperately seeking a mentor.....
Sep 14
Ciar Nafets replied to Sarah Beth's discussion Should I listen to Cronometer? Am I eating enough?
Sep 14
Sarah Beth replied to Sarah Beth's discussion Should I listen to Cronometer? Am I eating enough?
Sep 14
Ciar Nafets replied to Sarah Beth's discussion Should I listen to Cronometer? Am I eating enough?
Sep 14
Sep 14
Profile IconBriseida Guzman, Jackie Stiegler, somjit jongjorhor and 1 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Sep 14
ednshell replied to Sarah Beth's discussion Should I listen to Cronometer? Am I eating enough?
Sep 13
Sarah Beth replied to Sarah Beth's discussion Should I listen to Cronometer? Am I eating enough?
Sep 13
ednshell posted a photo
Sep 13

© 2017   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service