30 Bananas a Day!

Having done a little research on melatonin I think this useful hormone may be another small thing to consider when trying to live a healthy, natural lifestyle.
Melatonin is secreted into the blood by the pineal gland  in the brain. It is a natural anti-oxidant, helping to protect DNA and plays a big role in our sleep cycles helping us to get quality sleep and make us sleepy at night. What's important is the way our brain makes melatonin. When our eyes are exposed to light (specifically blue wavelengths), our production of melatonin is inhibited. This makes sense because if it wasn't for artificial light then we'd be producing sleep inducing melatonin after the sun goes down. Our modern way of living exposes us to light sources that wouldn't have been there during our millions of years of evolution meaning that we're not producing the amounts of melatonin that we naturally should be. Everyone living a LFRV lifestyle is interested in giving the body what it needs but we should also consider the things that we subject our bodies to that aren't so natural. For instance sitting in front of a bright computer screen is a major source of artificial light that can inhibit melatonin production. Bright lights in rooms at night and watching TV will also surpress melatonin production.
This may all seem a tad anal but if it can help at all in being as healthy as you can then whats the harm in dimming the lights a bit or using romantic candles instead of 100watt bulbs. You even save electricity too!

By the way if you're like me and like to use your computer then I found this handy little free program which cuts out blue light from your computer screen at night!
http://www.stereopsis.com/flux/

Views: 499

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Cool program, will give it a try! Most monitors and TVs also have a feature in their settings for color temperature

RSS

30BaD Search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

THE RT4 BIBLE IS OUT!!! CLICK ON IMAGE TO VIEW

Latest Activity

Profile IconSamantha Naylor, Aurora Morrigan, Jas and 8 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
1 hour ago
OrganicMark posted a status
"Aldi Bans All Pesticides, Goes Organic, Rivals Whole Foods As Healthiest Grocery Store In The U.S. #fruits #vegetables http://j.mp/1rq4a6r"
2 hours ago
Aurora Morrigan joined Casandra Willis's group
2 hours ago
iracema joined TheBananaGirl's group
3 hours ago
KlaraSweden joined Simon's group
3 hours ago
KlaraSweden joined Anna's group
3 hours ago
KlaraSweden joined Jasmin's group
4 hours ago
Karissa joined Bryan's group
5 hours ago
Ariana Montemayor replied to Rita's discussion I seem to be repulsed by fruit..help!
6 hours ago
Josef Klaeren posted a video

Author of The World Peace Diet at my First Vegan Meet-Up!

Last night I attended my first vegan meet-up here in Charlotte where Dr. Will Tuttle, author of The World Peace Diet was speaking. It was a moving and inform...
7 hours ago
James bananaman Bailey posted a video

Raw Honey Is It Healthy & Vegan?

Is honey vegan? Is raw honey healthy?? Our Website - http://www.teambanana.net/
7 hours ago
Sun Fruit Dan posted videos
7 hours ago
Wippe posted a video

FRUIT YOURSELF EP5: PIELE DE SAPO MELON! (aka Frog Skin Melon aka Santa Claus Melon)

In this episode we find out all about this badass looking melon! But is it any good?? contact me: vippe7@hotmail.co.uk
7 hours ago
Randy Raw posted a video

Tropical Hint 07

Olosapo (Couepia polyandra)... Check out my Costa RIca Project "Finca Talamanca" youtube channel!
7 hours ago
Buddah Dylan posted a video

Welcome To Vegan Club + Deficiency As A Vegan B12, Protein, Calcium

Just gone vegan... you are probably wondering whats going to kill you first, right? Vitamin B12, calcium, running out of protein? Been there done that. BORIN...
7 hours ago
OrganicMark posted a status
"Sun is a Portal for Hyperdimensional Space Travel based on Sacred Geometry #evolution #peace #truth #love #light #now http://j.mp/1N8QZ3E"
9 hours ago

© 2016   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service