30 Bananas a Day!

Looking at schools for holistic nutrition- advice from anyone with experience much appreciated!

I've decided that I want to pursue an education in holistic nutrition.  So far the schools that have caught my attention are Bauman College and the Institute for Integrative Nutrition.  My ultimate goal, upon earning a degree, is to a)guide people to better and easily sustainable health and b)use my knowledge to take part in anything that involves delivering plant-based foods to combat hunger in starving nations and/or teaching sustainable farming.  I want to help people/animals individually, and on a global level.  Does anyone here have experience in this field?  Opinions on these schools as well as any others not mentioned would be extremely helpful.  Thanks!

--AJ

PS- If anyone thinks that school is the wrong path to accomplishing my goals, I'd like to hear thoughts on that too.

Views: 5713

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I am interested in this as well, any information is greatly appreciated.

me too! =)

I chose the Bachelor of Science in Holistic Natural Health & Nutrition from The College of Natural Health, Mississippi based on a recommendation from someone I know who is doing their HygioPhysician course.  For me, the remote learning option was the only option and, so far, I'm very pleased with the course and the staff.

http://www.collegeofnaturalhealth.us/natural-health-and-nutrition/d...

John this is not a distance learning program though right?? 

Oh, yes it is.  However, since I wrote this, I realised that actually what purports to be a science degree is really nothing more than getting credit for reading diet guru books that are for the most part just a repetition of previous diet guru's writings and little to no hard science referenced to it.  The authors even contradict each other on some issues.  Very surprising was the fact that one of the Natural Hygiene course books was on herbal medicines!!! Anyway, if the piece of paper is worth $2k to you, then by all means consider it but otherwise, just read the books.

I must admit that one book I never would have read otherwise is Victoria Bidwell's Get Well, Stay Well America.  It is an excellent collection of useful self-help knowledge covering almost every aspect of health and IMO well worth the cover price of $50.

oh thanks for the reply! later i realised that this is not a recent conversation... but i am interested in the topic and i didnt find something else in here! yes i too understand that in such topics ths studies are just like what you described! take care! :) :) 

The Intstitute for Integrative Nutrition (IIN) I'm enrolled, and can't wait to start d: so far it's amazing. Look into it more! It's worth it.

John- This is extremely helpful, thank you!  Remote learning is my only option as well, unless I want to wait a whole year for my lease to end, which I do not!  I will check it out ASAP, I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying it so far.

Lilah-This is also great feedback!  Did you look into other schools before deciding on that one?  What made you choose IIN?  It seems like the best choice so far because my mom has a friend who graduated from there and is now a successful practicing nutritionist.  Are you in their holistic nutrition program, then?  As an aside, Lilah has always been one of my favorite names it's gorgeous, thanks for your help =]

Just be sure to check out the curriculum before you sign up for anything. If a lot of your courses involve some quack teaching you about using bovine adrenal extract and soy protein supplements (as much holistic nutritionists around here do), you are wasting your money. If you can't find one that's not drug-happy, consider becoming certified as a Life Scientist/natural hygiene counselor. That way you wouldn't be paying someone to teach you something that you know is wrong. 

Ohh no sir I would never!  Thanks, I've definitely been researching the curriculum.  Nothing but completely whole-food based nutrition for me!

I'm enrolled at IIN right now. I just started in March. I never thought I would enjoy school but I freaking LOVE it! It's not just about the science of nutrition, it teaches you how to address the whole person from relationships to spiritualty to career to physical activity. They teach over 100 dietary theories and are big on finding what's right for the individual ( meaning 1 diet won't work for everyone, which people on this site might object to). It's almost like being a life coach with some nutrtion stuff added in. They really teach you how to guide people to heal themselves and become their fullest happiest self possible. They also teach you how to start your own practice and make it thrive, which for me, is invaluable. They certify you to start seeing clients within 6 months so you can start making money and even pay off your tuition before you graduate. It's been amazing for me so far and there are tons of successful health coaches out there right now. It's really inspiring. Hope this helps. Good luck on your decision and your journey. Know that whatever decision you make will no doubt be the right one.

im in march too :)

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

Latest Activity

Daniel L commented on Jasmine Lancaster's blog post 19.09.2014 Food Diary
24 minutes ago
Raychil replied to Evie Louise's discussion weightgain/scared to date
27 minutes ago
Jasmine Lancaster commented on Jasmine Lancaster's blog post 19.09.2014 Food Diary
39 minutes ago
Katinka Lucas posted a discussion
40 minutes ago
lon mins posted a discussion
53 minutes ago
lon mins posted a status
54 minutes ago
Profile Iconlon mins, Katinka Lucas, Matthew Evans and 18 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
55 minutes ago
Daniel L commented on Angel Rodriguez's photo
1 hour ago
Angel Rodriguez posted a photo
1 hour ago
Angel Rodriguez replied to road to recovery through fruit's discussion NEWBIE IN NEED OF HELP! in the group Beginners in a fruitarian/raw vegan lifestyle
1 hour ago
Eli replied to Evie Louise's discussion weightgain/scared to date
1 hour ago
Statrolis replied to ♥ AimeeLovesYou's discussion Spring Into Action! Log your training here :)
2 hours ago
Statrolis replied to ♥ AimeeLovesYou's discussion Spring Into Action! Log your training here :)
2 hours ago
Theedz replied to Theedz's discussion Slow digestion and really bad gas!
2 hours ago
Angel Rodriguez replied to road to recovery through fruit's discussion NEWBIE IN NEED OF HELP! in the group Beginners in a fruitarian/raw vegan lifestyle
2 hours ago
CREZ replied to CREZ's discussion Fat Burning Cycling Plan!
2 hours ago

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service