30 Bananas a Day!

how can it be that we never talk about deficiency in iodine? we don't eat salt or sea veg. where are we getting our iodine, and why don't we have iodine deficiency?

a quick google search just told me to eat sea veg (I don't have a deficiency, I'm doing some research and not happy with what I found)

Views: 1552

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

iodime?
i don't owe anyone a dime!
so no deficiency!!

on a more useful note:

"Natural sources of iodine include sea life, such as kelp and certain seafood, as well as plants grown on iodine-rich soil."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iodine#cite_note-medlineplus002421-35

and

"Some vegetables also contain iodine, but only if they are grown in iodine-rich soils."
http://www.healthyeatingclub.com/info/articles/Minerals/iodine.htm

(sea salt is apparently not a good source, btw)

so it is likely that you don't need sea veg in order to be sure you have enough iodine and if you are eating organic, there is plenty of opportunity for iodine (in the form of iodide) to get into the veggies from the soil (unless you live in australia according to the second article, but i think that is probably typical pharmaceutical nonsense).

also, remember that the 'deficiency' marks are purposely inflated anyway because no one wants a legal case against them for deficiency.

in friendship,
prad
this is what I'm thinking, absolutely. interesting, too, isn't it, that they deliver iodine to the population via iodized table salt??? a poison vehicle to deliver an "essential" nutrient? I agree - it's not about delivering to fulfill deficiency, it's about stopping the losses via improper nutrition and imbalanced supplementation.

BarbaraB is one of my heroes!

the reason I asked is because a friend is on thyroid meds and iodine supplementation, and I'[m encouraging her to drop all her supplements (and talk to her dr about getting off the med), and she is concerned about lack of iodine in conjunction with dropping thyroid medication. a fair concern. then she told me that the dr put her on iodine supplements without ever even testing her for a deficiency!! sputtter--what??? dr's. can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em...
Please ask her to be really careful when reducing her thyroid hormone/med dose. I know from experience going too quickly can have some very scary ramifications.
It's got to be in the soil. There are only 4 trace minerals that we need but plants do not need. They are chromium,selenium,cobalt,and iodine. Because we eat a variety of plants from many parts of the world,it's not really a problem...too much iodine is harmful as well.
If you look back through the history of 30bad, you will see we have talked about it in the past. Its not an issue. Theres plenty in fruits and veg. bananas are particularly high.

Take care

Adam x
contrary to what others have stated here, if your thyroid, (or name your gland here) , is iodine deficient through many years of halide absorption (chlorine, flouride, bromine) found in water, bread, soda pop, canned goods, (and now "organic food"), etc,, then you will not likely be able to dislodge these from the glands/body until you ingest over 50 mgs per day. Table salt won't do it - you need 246 teaspoons a day - *plus* it is not bioavailable; your bady can take up only 10% of it. This is because these halides are competitors with iodine and block its absorption. Dr. Brownstein recommends using Lugol's solution - you need *both* iodine and iodide. He said all this, i got the information from him .... if you'd like to know an expert's opinion, check out his 1.5 hour presentation on google video - -http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7498778564110218870&ei=... ...... he tells you why standard medicine is wrong.

Why did the bakery industry remove iodine in bread and replace it c.1975 with bromine?? -- more clients for big PHARMA and hospitals, that's why....do you see a pattern here? flouride/bromine/chlorine/mercury/aspertame -- you know, "it's all good" - for the bottom line.

I got my Lugol's here for self-treatment ( I don't have faith in standard Docs)
http://www.jcrows.com/iodine.html

;;;you can get 16 oz, for 50 american greenbacks.
No, i'm not affiliated with the company and don't own any stocks. You can take the word of Dr Brownstein with 20 years of clinical experience, or the medical establishment's. The doctor provides 200 years of various studies and information - quite convincing.
I couldn't find any info. on J.Crow, is it a good company/people?

Hi Shell, yes it's a good company in that you will receive what you order from them. I've used their services with great satisfaction. The company takes it's name from the man who started it.

He also has unpublished notes by Dr. Jarvis on his site - take them for what they are worth. He is also peddling that New Age mysticism of the Zeitgeist, Krishnamurti, etc., and he offers other products. But the Lugol's is the real McCoy , just what it's advertised to be.

Cool, thanks! :)
Thank you Noa!  What a great website!

I just listened to This interview with Dr. Brownstein, he isn't too keen on Nascent.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RbgJgiXv4JQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

Latest Activity

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service