30 Bananas a Day!

Victoria Boutenko Realizes that Low Fat Cooked Foods are perhaps a Healthier Choice than High Fat Raw Foods

I was on You Tube recently and I came across a discussion about Victoria not being raw. People had all sorts of statements about Victoria’s diet, some even said she was never on a 100% raw food diet.  To keep the truth accessible and avoid confusion, I decided to post this article Victoria wrote to her newsletter group at the start of this year. It is her public statement about preferring to resin from her previous 100% raw position.

Why I say I’m 95% Raw

By Victoria Boutenko
January 9th, 2010

Victoria Boutenko 300x200 Victoria Boutenko on not being RawThis month my family celebrates our 16th birthday as a Raw Family. Raw food saved our lives and I love every aspect of my raw life except for one. It becomes increasingly uncomfortable to feel the separation of us “purists,” (100% raw foodists) from anyone who is “below” that standard.

I first experienced this unease four years ago. I visited my relatives who eat a standard American diet, when suddenly my 9 year old nephew confided to me that he decided to become a vegetarian. He asked me if I would teach him to cook a vegetable soup. I froze, thinking. “How can I do that? I am a 100% raw fooder!” Yet, after looking into Sasha’s excited eyes, I went ahead and helped him cook a soup, which he loved.

Soon after this episode, I participated in a weekend workshop with Byron Katie about self-realization, along with 500 other attendees. That was the very first non-raw food event that I had been to in more than ten years. I remember feeling different, weird, and completely out of place. In addition, and contrary to my expectation, those people did not look particularly unhealthy. I did a lot of thinking at this workshop about why I felt separated and the importance of happiness in one’s life.

Since then I noticed feeling progressively more sensitive when talking to people who were struggling to stick to a 60%, 70%, 80%, or whatever % raw diet. All of a sudden, I realized that my book 12 Steps to Raw Foods (first edition) contained fanaticism about 100% raw foodism. Soon I completely revised this book and published the second edition, which I find to be a much kinder book, and perhaps more useful because of that. I shredded and recycled the left over copies of the old edition.

I have noticed that when I was telling other people about myself being a 100% raw foodist, it came across as if I was claiming to be a better, higher, more spiritual person. I felt so uncomfortable that I repeated in every lecture, “I am just a woman in a green dress. Please don’t put me on a pedestal.”

We are all pioneers, still in the beginning of our research of the human diet. Nothing is set in stone and our bodies continually change. For example, while I enjoyed gourmet raw food in the beginning of my raw journey, for several years now, I have completely eliminated food prepared with nuts. In recent years I have decided that it can be healthier, to eat a bowl of cooked green vegetables than a whole jar of raw nut butter.

While I believe with my whole heart that, when done correctly, a raw food diet is the optimal way of eating for humans, and my present diet is almost exclusively raw, I prefer to resign from a “100% raw” position.

Views: 7903

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

My Dad was one of the fittest 80 year olds on the planet. He would ride his bike every second day up and down the coast. At 70 he could outsprint me in a 100m dash. I was 16.

He lived on white rice/orange juice/baked beans/tinned salmon/milk/sugar and cornflakes mostly. I have no doubts he would have been super fit at 100 still if he ate a healthy diet. When they gave him radiation and chemo last year, he only lasted 2 months until he died.

Ive had 4 mates that were super fit and under age 35 that have died from heart failure in the last few years.

Being active is as important as eating/living healthy. Unfortunately some people think they can work it off cos they train a lot and thats true for a bit of time but regardless of our genetic gifts, bad habits ALWAYS catch up in the end. :(
I agree with you 1000% I began began my rawfood journey maybe 2 yrs ago I believe. I started in the winter and during that winter I lost 50 pounds with just fruits vegetables and very lil nuts and seeds. I also speed walked @ least 8-10 miles a day with kettle bell training 4-5 times a week. Now when I started slipping and sliding meaning not moving alot and adding some cooked vegan food 20lbs returned. That was all the proof I needed I am back to 100% rawfood no gimmicks and no gourmet. I feel and look amazing on mono fruit meals and dark leafy green salads. I don't know VB but I admired her so much when I first learned about this way of life. I am sure she is a kind woman but that has nothing to do with the truth. You cannot be obese on a lfrv lifestyle. Also no matter what the health issues lfrv helps the body self heal. We are naturally designed to self heal naturally. Whole real high enzyme foods heal.
work Jaakko.

Vic gives a lot but she obviously aint giving Vic enough sweet fruits so she can keep on powering on her path and stay away from the fattening stuff/lifestyle.
Imagine if Vic photocopied up 10 000 green smoothie recipies or advertisments or whatever and walked around for 1hr each day around the neighbourhood and put em in letterboxes. Thats some worthwhile exercise.

It would be enough exercise but unless Vic changes her eating habits and starts to slam in the carbs each day vs whatever else Vic is eating, she will stay a big Vic instead of a fit and healthy Vic.

The fattest people I know were often the fittest a decade or 2 ago. Problem was they just keep eating the junk foods that slap on the body butter. Nobody gets obese eating fruits or rices or jam sandwiches or even almonds for that matter. Sumo sized people eat a special diet for sure as you have to be eating full on junk to get big.
Her life in Russia was quite fascinating, a great story indeed. Nothing really and totally to do with raw, but the woman is sharp---make no mistake. She by far looked and likely felt healthiest, too, when hiking the pacific crest trail with the fam and running races for sergei and the fam. Again, though, the running was spearheaded by a mother's love for her son. Once old enough to run himself, mom stops. The mom/woman's syndrome to take care of everybody else but themselves......seems so selfless but is so wrong: moms NEED to be selfish as the nurturers of our society. And strong. Parents have a steep, uphill climb in today's world, my God. But that is frowned upon, and it's considered "noble" to give allll you have to others and have no time or energy left for yourself at the end of the day. Such a nasty meme in our culture that serves zero purpose at all except to weaken.

She's very into Byron Katie's "The Work", which may help some people, I guess, but seemed to oversimplify some stuff to me as well as to caution against any anger or strong emotions, period, it seems.......and to pacify. Maybe anger at the divorce or what-have-you (which can only be taxing) would be a good thing. Kickboxing is the best! And therapeutic on many levels. ;) Regardless, Igor is a big exerciser and would have personally-trained her every day if they were together. So with a trainer in the house, it's just choice. She doesn't like to exercise, plain and simple. Even still, most don't like to eat their greens, but I know what her answer would be. ;)
I don't know. I think she comes across as honest and not a salesman in this world/field, and still has vital information that has helped many, plus is genuinely giving to others no matter what. She's kind and she is beloved by many, period, and will always have an audience/following for that alone. And she is a very smart woman. I think she gives too much of herself to others and perhaps not as much to herself----a trait women can suffer from. I mean, she has campers in her front yard!? I'd give them the BOOT, man, lol!? Plus, she just went through a divorce, working right through it. That crap catches up with you. I just wish her well. Clearly she is still on her journey, but she has helped many and while many other guru types may LOOK the part more, please believe me when I say they have NOT done the work on their mental or spiritual side even if they DO eat 100% raw, and those are huge components to health as well. Some are straight up nasty, ugly (on the inside) and greedy. Or over-controlling, etc. Very imbalanced! But that's what I'm saying: as long as they LOOK the part, everything else is irrelevant. When you take that into consideration, many more are just as confusing as Victoria is.
something you mentioned in passing a few posts ago reminded me of a past pondering of mine. I've personally attended a presentation by Gabe a couple years ago and also noted his use of the 3rd person. I was and am genuinely curious as to why. Any idea?
Why does anyone do it? BC they are freaky pretentious a-holes. LOL! Sorry, but that's just troubling. lol
please believe me when I say they have NOT done the work on their mental or spiritual side even if they DO eat 100% raw, and those are huge components to health as well. Some are straight up nasty, ugly (on the inside) and greedy. Or over-controlling, etc

rawk you seem to know a lot about the mentality of the leading raw guru's.
Just curious who are these nasty, ugly people and how do you know this? I can only name a few so called guru's off the top of my head. Matt M, Dave W, Brian K, Gabriel C, Juliano, Kevin G, Paul N... Are they that bad? I guess MM does promote snakeoil and Brian K is obviously a fraud if he disses fruit.
Who is Brian K? I only know of Brian Clements.

I worked in the field for enough years and either came across them directly or was told stuff in confidance that would make your head spin. ;)

Are they that bad?? It depends on if you think rude, greedy, over-controlling, and imbalanced "bad" to begin with. I've seen some preach alkalinity and then publically humiliate their staff in front of a crowd, I know people some of the above have stayed with and they were dumbfounded at their thankless, excessively-rude and selfish behavior---yes. And as far as some others, a big resounding yes as well (from me). Are ALL bad? No. And is any one person all bad? No. But the percentage of assholes and liars seems actually higher in this field, surprisingly enough, and for people so "alkaline". At the same time, they still are helping people, and the message of enzymes, etc, is not to be discredited because of it's followers/teachers.

Kevin G---have never heard anything about him. And Paul Nison? Are you kidding? Have you SEEN his latest videos? This is a deeply troubled guy who during health educators courses at HHI has publically denounced a single homosexual guest (who also paid ten grands for 9 weeks of education ;) and told him without missing a beat that he is going to hell for his actions. Oh, then back to saving the world with sprouts. WTF? The entire class (bc you get quite close, and they aren't that big bc who has that $ and time? ;) told Brian they wanted a refund or Paul REMOVED as a teacher.........and of course $ talks at HHI so it's nice to hear that at least for that group Paul wasn't allowed to teach any more. Clearly he didn't learn jack squat and just ran further with his prejudices, now extending them to women. Soon: Paul Nison's video on why stoning people should be brought back, etc. Whatever with him, though. ;) He doesn't even cross my mind when I think of the health educators and gurus out there, to be truthful. ;)

I love Victoria and her entire family.  This was a personal choice for her to make and I support her to a degree.  She has never been a low fat - no sodium - no dehydrated 811rv.  This would have made her next phase of being raw much more healthier for her and she would have not had such difficulty with her weight.  Yes, she has admitted to not exercising which does make a difference. 

I am a strong supporter of 100% raw and organic and no salt and low fat vegan.  This is why I came here and joined this forum - because of support with my specific best choice for health and longevity being raw.  I am hyper-sensitive to any cooked and processed foods and won't even take one bite the rest of my life.  I am saddened that Victoria has chosen to eat some cooked food in her diet but that is her choice for the time being.

I also see too many raw gurus going in the same direction.  Again it is because of their high fat, high salt, and high dehydrated, complicated recipe fancy  raw food choices. 

i saw her new years she doesn't look healthy as if she crashed and hit a wall and wasn't getting enough carbs and had to retreat 

she is very over weight

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

Latest Activity

jim whit replied to Pure Vegan's discussion I finally have a new blender
8 seconds ago
wally sizer posted a status
8 minutes ago
Profile Iconwally sizer, DutchFlower, mary parikh and 12 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
8 minutes ago
Annabella replied to Vanessa Soldano's discussion Can't finish my daterade
55 minutes ago
Annabella replied to Madeline Stoffer's discussion Digestion
1 hour ago
HR posted a status
"Hav you guys heard of the illegal dog meat trade in Thailand at the moment? There is a petition going round on soi dogs"
1 hour ago
Ronan commented on BananaJoe's group The Cyclists
1 hour ago
Johanna Banana replied to Johanna Banana's discussion Traveling the world and want to get to know you!
1 hour ago
Profile IconCara D, Porcha and 2 other members joined TheBananaGirl's group
1 hour ago
Cara D and Lynn Panther are now friends
1 hour ago
Stephy801010 replied to Sage of Dissolution's discussion Unsurprising results
1 hour ago
Alexis Griffus posted a discussion
2 hours ago
Alexis Griffus replied to growhealthykids's discussion They called DCS on us for feeding our kids 811 HCLFR VEGAN!! Teacher crosses the line and pays for them to have school lunch against our wishes.
2 hours ago
Alexis Griffus replied to Sage of Dissolution's discussion Unsurprising results
2 hours ago
Alexis Griffus replied to Moonchild's discussion RT4: Need some help
2 hours ago
mary parikh posted a status
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service