30 Bananas a Day!

I know there have been posts regarding citrus ripeness before...but I am having so much trouble finding ripe looking oranges and I am craving them like crazy for some reason!
I have tried to buy a bag a few times only to get sick because they were not ripe :/
Do you think I would have better luck if I tried to find a produce distributor and ordered a bulk box, asking them for really ripe ones? 
I noticed a bag of juice oranges at stop and shop had green on them and I thought it meant they were not ripe...but then i have read that citrus can start to turn green again after ripening?

any suggestions? any thoughts on better ways to tell the ripeness of oranges before cutting them open? Also, any ideas on acquiring good oranges, not too expensive, in good quantity?

thanks so much! =]

Views: 2921

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

feel them! soft ones are ripe :)
Thanks . Lukas' videos are great! really helpful with the mangos and such too. Thanks for directing me there.

arghh I can't find any ripe :(
The only orange oranges in the store were irradiated, and even those didn't smell ripe, only looked orange.
The heavier ones are usually more ripe than lighter ones of the same size. This is only a way to find the most ripe of a bunch but they still might not be ready to eat. I usually find ones of the same size and weigh them to pick which ones are closer to being ripe. If they feel very soft and the peel seems like it is very thin then that's usually a good way to tell if they are ripe enough to eat. I have been eating so many oranges I feel like I've become an expert over the last year.
jealous of your numerous oranges! lol :P
thanks for the tips!
Problem is, none in the store are nearly good :/ and the only organic ones come in a bag and they're nearly yellow. I'll try calling a produce distributor maybe
oh man. thanks for letting me know!
So then does that count out trying a produce distributor like Albert's organics? would they be gassed too?? darnnn I guess I will have to live without oranges, whyyy am I craving them like mad. I love fresh dates but not so much in the summer, and that's nearly all I have right now that's ripe. =[
I guess its better to eat enough than to not eat though
thanks for the great tips Blackberry! :)
Unfortunately the only organic oranges I have found near me are bagged....so I can't pick and choose. And lately they have all been nearly yellow! much to my dismay.
Comparing the weight like Derek suggests is my main strategy. That alone works pretty consistently for me.
thanks! next time I find some that might nearly be decent I shall try weighing them
I buy citrus almost exclusively at the farmers markets, where I can taste a sample first and talk to the farmer or vendor, and ask how ripe they are when they're picked. I don't think they ripen off the tree (not sure about this), so they need to be picked ripe or they're terrible.

I look for heavy for its size, and a dark color. I don't find that soft is all that indicative, as that might mean just old. But basically I find a farmer who picks them ripe and whose farm gets enough heat so they'll be sweet, and buy from him or her. If you're in a grocery store, try asking the produce guy if you can sample one. Or just buy one, try it right then, and see how it is before you buy a whole bag.
Maybe that's my problem, I shouldn't have them because I live in new england and am far away from them. So a farmer's market wont work, unfortunately. This will be a good idea for the future though! And you are right, from what I know, oranges don't ripen once picked.
It's a great idea to find a good farmer and develop a correspondence. I'll keep this in mind for the future :)

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

Latest Activity

Samantha M commented on Casandra Willis's group Raw Canucks
11 minutes ago
ednshell replied to Steph Baron's discussion Constipation 2 months in. Detox symptoms? Candida? Help please!
13 minutes ago
Samantha M joined Casandra Willis's group
16 minutes ago
ednshell replied to Steph Baron's discussion Constipation 2 months in. Detox symptoms? Candida? Help please!
16 minutes ago
michael replied to Stephy's discussion Hi from London!
17 minutes ago
18 minutes ago
BellaNik joined L's group
24 minutes ago
Profile IconEcuador Vitality, Arek Swiebodzinski, Emily Alves and 4 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
38 minutes ago
Steph Baron replied to Steph Baron's discussion Constipation 2 months in. Detox symptoms? Candida? Help please!
50 minutes ago
Elsa replied to David IC's discussion Recovering from eating disorder-need support
51 minutes ago
Profile IconEmily Alves and michael joined Anna's group
53 minutes ago
michael replied to Diana Hassmannová's discussion Fructose sirup in the group Beginners in a fruitarian/raw vegan lifestyle
58 minutes ago
michael replied to Diana Hassmannová's discussion Fructose sirup in the group Beginners in a fruitarian/raw vegan lifestyle
1 hour ago
Sam Swinea replied to Alex 's discussion regular water vs distilled water?
1 hour ago
Kelly Bergstedt and Igor Molchan are now friends
1 hour ago
Pom commented on Mindaugas BananaHoover's group Costa Rica 80 10 10
1 hour ago

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service