30 Bananas a Day!

HAHAHAHAAAA I was just typing into the search engine "how many bananas in 20kg" but I only got as far as the word banana, and "how many bananas will kill you" came up as the most common search!!
I clicked upon it, intrigued...to find this: 

"How many bananas can you eat before you die?

I have heard many stories of people eating one too many bananas and ending up in a hospital or dead. I'm sure weight, age, health factors (ex. diabetes) will alter the results; however, I'm just curious about how many bananas are estimated to result in death to the average person.
  • 11 months ago

Additional Details

I read in the news a few days ago about a high school football team that ate bananas before their games to improve performance. However, several of the players ate too many before one game, 1 got really sick, 3 ended up in critical condition, and one died. I don't know how many they ate, but it couldn't have been that much since it was in one setting.

11 months ago"

Apparently they changed the world record breaking banana eating contests to the most people eating them, rather than one person eating more narnas. 

Phew a bead of sweat lay upon my brow...mayhap we're all doing to die early?! But then alas, I found this: 

"....So the question then becomes, would it be possible to eat enough bananas to cause potassium poisoning? Since the U.S. RDA for potassium is 4,000 mg or so, and since one banana contains about 400 mg, you would have to eat 10 bananas just to hit the RDA. Obviously that is not toxic – that’s the recommendation.

So to get a toxic dose of potassium from bananas, you would have to eat far more than 10 bananas.

If you look up the lethal dose for potassium chloride on a page like this, the oral value is 2,600 mg per kilogram. If you weigh 75 kilograms (165 pounds), you would need to consume 75 * 2,600 = 195,000 mg of potassium to reach fatal levels. That’s 487 bananas worth. Potassium chloride is only about half potassium, so you might need to eat fewer bananas (containing K rather than KCl) than that to achieve toxicity, say by half. But the result is the same – It is hard to imagine that people who are healthy are going to be killing themselves with bananas. It’s hard to imagine someone eating 25 bananas in a day, much less 250."

hahardiha....little doth she know that a 30bananas a day lifestyle is sweeping the globe!!

Tags: bananas, death, overdose, potassium

Views: 30267

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I like the phrase "cry like a girl." Ha.
Just one in the hands of a skilled assassin!

I think I just peed my pants.
I haven't seen that for years! Nice one!
" It’s hard to imagine someone eating 25 bananas in a day"

hahahaha.
Maybe the whole sentence was "It's hard to imagine someone eating 25 bananas in a day..... without adding some dates to get enough cals in."
oh man
If I live to 100 at the current rate of banana consumption, I estimate I'll eat another 383,250 bananas before I die. I guess when I eventually die they can say that it was the bananas that killed me.

I always thought it was 380 bananas in a single mouthful for a 150lb man.

Looks more like 400 though.

rippin through the retards arguments like hurricane, dr.

are you ever like, man my job is easy!? at least gimme a challenge! 

seriously though, yet another simple debunk that took nothing short of... a 20 second google search. 

well done 

I would like to see two people, one with 400 bananas and another with 400 steaks to see which one keels over and dies.

Maybe a little off the topic, but here in Australia we had two summers in a row where our main bana growing regions were hit horribly with natural disasters and the price of bananas sky rocketed to $13-18 a kilo! (in peak season they are usually as low as $2/kilo). There were problems with elderly people getting admitted to hospital with chest pain, and there was an assumed link as low potassium can cause cardiac symptoms and pensioners couldn't afford to buy bananas!

Luckily the bananas are back to $2-3/kilo this year :-)

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service