30 Bananas a Day!

hey yall, just read this article.  love to hear what yall think.

http://www.thehealthyhomeeconomist.com/how-green-smoothies-can-deva...

Views: 3525

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for the article.

Here's the anti-article :-)

http://www.incrediblesmoothies.com/green-smoothies/why-green-smooth...

I actually do put either spinach or kale in my green smoothies (whenever I have them). Oddly, I find blended kale produces a milder flavor than blended romaine. I think at the very most I'll now simply be cautious not to over-indulge in the high oxalate greens, though I already never usually put more than a fifth of a pound in anyway.

I only just joined the community and seeing this thread totally gave me pause. So I did a little digging and from what I've found, it sounds like unless you already have been diagnosed with a tendency to create calcium oxalate crystals in your urinary tract, increasing your kale intake should not cause any complications.

As far as digestion and calcium absorption goes, I found quite a lot to suggest that one should consume dairy at separate times from kale to maximize the amount calcium you are able to assimilate from the animal sources. BUT as this is a community for those of us who choose not to utilize dairy, I don't think it ought to pose any problems.  Kale itself is rather high in calcium.

In regards to super high levels of vitamin K and contraindications with blood thinners like Warfarin, just defer to your medical practitioner and use common sense. For the rest of us, the anti-oxidant cancer fighting properties far outweigh any perceived risks as far as I can see.

Please, if there is something glaringly obvious that I've missed, let me know! I'm in no way trying to say that I'm an expert!

Here is a snippet of one of the many articles I went through to come to my green conclusions. This is from WorldsHealthiestFoods.com (whfoods.com)

Kale and Oxalates

Kale is among a small number of foods that contain measurable amounts of oxalates, naturally occurring substances found in plants, animals, and human beings. When oxalates become too concentrated in body fluids, they can crystallize and cause health problems. For this reason, individuals with already existing and untreated kidney or gallbladder problems may want to avoid eating kale. Laboratory studies have shown that oxalates may also interfere with absorption of calcium from the body. Yet, in every peer-reviewed research study we've seen, the ability of oxalates to lower calcium absorption is relatively small and definitely does not outweigh the ability of oxalate-containing foods to contribute calcium to the meal plan. If your digestive tract is healthy, and you do a good job of chewing and relaxing while you enjoy your meals, you will get significant benefits — including absorption of calcium - from calcium-rich foods plant foods that also contain oxalic acid. Ordinarily, a healthcare practitioner would not discourage a person focused on ensuring that they are meeting their calcium requirements from eating these nutrient-rich foods because of their oxalate content.

I don't know much about this topic but I do know that i was eating an enormous amount of green smoothies as well as spinach (which I love) in salads, and developed hypothyroid, which I still have, including a small goiter on my neck. I have lowered my consumption of cruciferous (sp) veggies in general, and no longer drink smoothies or juice with them included. I know a couple of other people who have developed issues with their thyroid, but I am not sure if it's a coincidence of green juice and smoothies or not though all developed it after eating this diet for some time. I still don't think eating butter is necessary, but I do think that juicing and smoothies should be limited and instead eating the actual food should be encouraged. It's not likely to get too much if you're chewing it and eating it. IMO

- SW: I have been told by an endocrinologist that thyroid complications especially things like Hashimoto's Thyroiditis secondary  to suppressed thyroid auto-antibodies can be a familial tendency which is sex-linked, seeming to be prevalent in females. Any other ladies in your family suffering from thyroid woes?

Not to my knowledge. I am adopted on my dad's side so I know nothing about the women in his family but my mom has about every other disease but not this one. My grandmother on mom's side either, she's healthy as a horse. Unfortunately, due to being so dang tired I started taking the Synthroid out of desperation and it is working... I am hoping being more strict with myself on my eating will help though. When all this first happened we back slid horribly and I was sleeping 15 to 20 hrs a day.

The demographic the healthy home economist is targeting. ;)

omg Durianrider!

RSS

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Bette E. Murphy replied to vegan witch Ⓥ's discussion Melatonin + BANANAS + unbelieveable stuff
3 hours ago
Rachel Rosen is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
yesterday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
yesterday
Scooby the Cantaloupe Kid replied to Mikaela's discussion Thinking about going completely raw
Sunday
Theastrobuddhist posted a status
"Getting ready for my morning run then a 15banana smoothie"
Sunday
Matiss Vijups posted discussions
Sunday
fruity78 commented on Marina's group I'm single, you're single. Let's mingle!
Sunday
Plant Based Senior's photo was featured
Friday
Profile IconTheastrobuddhist, Megan Marie, skyler choudhary and 3 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Friday
Ben Trovato posted videos
Friday
OrganicMark posted a status
"Bitcoin Futures And The Need For Control #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2BSsFPE"
Thursday
Peter posted a status
"been busy,just finished picking 2 tonne approx. of yummy stonefruit ,I had to feed a lot to the geese there was so much,will postphoto soon"
Thursday
Ed Foulds and Love Banana are now friends
Dec 6
Ben Trovato replied to Mikaela's discussion Thinking about going completely raw
Dec 6
Ben Trovato posted a status
"New videos"
Dec 6
Ben Trovato posted a status
"Persimmons biatch"
Dec 6

© 2017   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by