30 Bananas a Day!

Help! What are the little dirt-like things inside my dates??

I know sometimes dates can get black on the inside and I did find two small bugs inside on of mine, but what is the dirt-like stuff inside some of them? I keep thinking it has to do with the little bugs and maybe it's their droppings; I'm just throwing away the ones with the light brown, dirt-like stuff in them. Am confused!! :)

Views: 5428

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yep, sounds like the droppings you're seeing. I'll find a wee worm (moth, apparently) and the droppings close by. I ditch that date and move on!

(Sometimes, sugar crystals can look like the droppings too, just fyi)

I just found one today. In total, there were 2 "dirty" dates in a 5kg box. To me it seemed like mold rather than droppings :) dunno which one is better/worse. I didn't taste it, just dumped them out.

That's what I'm wondering is if I'm throwing out perfectly good dates because of sugar crystals- how can I tell the difference? It's about 10% of my 15 lbs. order but I can't eat the ones with stuff inside because I feel like I'm eating droppings!!

I am pretty sure it is bug stuff. Because a few times I have not only found the little dirt-looking things inside, but I also found the bugs. Yes it is gross, but we probably eat so many bugs anyway! I just take a few extra seconds and sweep the gunk out of my dates before eating if they have bug stuff in them. 

Yeah, that's what I'm doing is going through each one before I eat it. Little disturbing, though, as I didn't used to do that but I also never chomped on some of the dirt-like stuff. Wonder what I ate? Am going to google sugar crystals in dates and see what I see. For now, better safe than sorry and I'm tossing the ones with anything inside but a pit! Thanks for ya'lls help!

I've seen this too and I've even found the little dried up worm in some. I tried scraping it out for a little while but then I just started eating it. It probably helps supply some B12 or something. 

I haven't seen any of this in non-organic dates so that would be one way to avoid it. But I think I'd rather eat the bug droppings (or could they be eggs?) than the pesticides.

I get non-organic dates (Sun-Date brand) and have found this stuff too.

It's creepy! I usually scrape any such offending stuff out while removing the pits. I'll even rinse under water if getting ready to toss them into a smoothie. The worst though, is eating a moldy date *shudder* you'll know if you do, trust me! I get very few like that though, even buying them 15-20 lbs at a time. I don't think I've gotten any moldy ones at all in the last couple of orders.

I have also noticed a correlation to extra stuff, sand, dirt, droppings, whatever, in the dates to whether they have the little end cap on or not. Dates without those, are much more likely to have stuff in them.

Because I was unsure, I didn't wash the bad dates just tossed them. I guess I could just wash them out and eat them- it feels ridiculous to be throwing out dates I had shipped to me from across the country!!

yeah I had the same conundrum! :) I washed one out and ate it and it tasted totally fine and I felt fine afterwards. Now I just do it as a matter of course and haven't had any problems. I don't even get so creeped out by it anymore!

Cool! I figure a good washing should do the trick, gonna try it tonight. Will let you know if I am still alive in the morning. :)

LOL! Well if you let me know you aren't alive, I will be surprised!! :D

RSS

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Courtney Beth replied to Katharina's discussion What to do with those dried figs ?
4 hours ago
Plant Based Senior posted a video

Are YOU a Proteinaholic? Book Review by the PlantBased Senior

So, after waiting a couple of weeks for my local library here in Venice, California to order this book, I happily read it in a weekend. If you are looking fo...
11 hours ago
Alex Curtis-Slep posted a video

What is a Yellow Dragon Fruit? What does it Taste Like?

Yellow dragon fruit is the best type of dragon fruit I've tried! It's sweeter than any of the other varieties and juicy just like all dragon fruits. Try yell...
11 hours ago
Profile IconAmit Grover and Bette E. Murphy joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Thursday
Courtney Beth replied to Alyssa's discussion Zucchini pasta recipes????
Tuesday
Catalin Sorecau posted a video

Night cross challenge

The 11th edition of Night cross challenge in Cluj-Napoca (Romania); two races, 4k and 10k.
Tuesday
Profile IconBaldean, Rachel Swart, Keira Ballein and 3 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Tuesday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Monday
James Cherian and Alexis Claire are now friends
Nov 19
Alex Curtis-Slep posted a video

November 11th Fruitluck Montage

We had a nice group at Maximo Park for a Fruitluck! The weather in St. Pete was great and so was the fruit! Mangoes, golden kiwi, grapes and much more! If yo...
Nov 18
Ben Trovato posted videos
Nov 18
I'm 100% RAW:) and frugivore. posted a discussion
Nov 17
I'm 100% RAW:) and frugivore. replied to Sérgio Filipe Meireles Soares's discussion Fruit Diet doubt
Nov 17
Rawberry replied to Rawberry's discussion Poop like sand?
Nov 16
ednshell replied to Rawberry's discussion Poop like sand?
Nov 16
Rawberry posted a discussion
Nov 16

© 2017   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service