30 Bananas a Day!

Have you sacrificed your education to lead a more purposeful life?

I'm on my first year of my Bachelor's for Elementary Education and I feel that my courses are such a waste of time. While I would probably enjoy being a teacher, I think that too much of the curriculum is pointless and serves very little purpose. I ultimately plan to get my Master's in Speech Pathology, but that seems like forever away. In the mean time, I have years of going through the motions just to get my degree.

I just want to help people. I don't necessarily care if I'm a Speech Pathologist or not. I want to do something that has meaning and that is in line with the person I am striving to become. 

Has anyone ever given up their educational goals to volunteer, travel, or just do something more meaningful? I'd love to hear about your experiences because I feel pretty conflicted right now.

Views: 218

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Great advice, my friend! =D

I feel like the school system only cares about how students score on the standardized tests. So much valuable time is wasted and I would feel dead inside if I had to follow such a curriculum.

I want to be a masseuse, but my dad keeps saying that would give me carpal tunnel? Also, where do you go for your degree? A trade school?

if elementary education is really something you want to be involved in in some way or another, then sometimes the way to change the things you don't like about it can best take place when you go through them. if you can find a way to get the bases for health and take your own research in a direction that gets at the things that you are passionate about, you can make it through it... though it may be a bit of a thrash at the end, haha. 
after my first semester of college i took off to just go live and pretty much figure out what i wanted to do... which led me to go back to school, and i wanted to. ending up switching my major a year following to english, which is not something i want to find a relative career in... except in that it may help me find some kinds of teaching work in areas with better fruit! :)  

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

Latest Activity

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service