30 Bananas a Day!

I'm volunteering at an organic farm and I just ate a bunch of super delicious tree ripened figs.. but my tongue burns REALLY badly right now, anyone know why?

Views: 5805

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's more of a dual action. Mucus and saliva protect you from the enzymes but if the skin or fiber rubs the saliva off your mouth. That part of your mouth is now exposed to the protein dissolving enzymes.

This was a very helpful post.  Thank you!  I found that the digestive enzyme in figs is actually ficain, but that is in the same family of proteases as bromlase (the family known as the cysteine endopeptidases, according to wikipedia:)  

We can avoid the burning sensation by discarding the stem of the figs and the flesh nearest to it and by consuming only fully ripened figs.  Yesterday, I got 1.5 lbs into a bowl of figs that I thought were all completely ripened, but I reached a point where my tongue burned so badly all of a sudden, I couldn't eat one more thing.  I had no idea figs could do this, so thanks for the discussion, everyone!  Now we know.

Cool, I Learned something new today :) 

Quote: "Psoralens are "phytoalexins" used by plants as a defense against fungi and insects"

I've found that this only happens to me if they aren't fully ripe.  Make sure they are nice and mushy when you pick them.  I find that when the skin starts to get some little stretch marks is a good indication of ripeness. 

Dr. Doug showed us how to eat them properly.  Provided they are indeed ripe, touch the inside flesh to your lips and mouth first and then you can eat them and the skin won't bother you.

make sure the figs (or whatever) are really ripe ... and only eat as much as your body wants to have. listen to your reactions & stop eating as soon as it does not taste heavenly anymore or at the latest when you start to feel any slightest discomfort. some fruit, like figs & pineapple, give very strong signals!

RSS

About

TheBananaGirl created this Ning Network.

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

zack left a comment for Emily Fairbank
14 hours ago
zack and Emily Fairbank are now friends
14 hours ago
John Perez commented on Alex Curtis-Slep's video
19 hours ago
OrganicMark posted a status
"London's Property Crash Has Begun #evolution #awakening #peace #truth #love #light #now http://bit.ly/2BDnGF0"
22 hours ago
Ben Trovato posted a video

The Carnivore Diet #MeatHeals Compilation

Meat-tard Twitter compilation juxtaposed by Greger and McDougall and James Cameron. Carnivore Diet 2018. Carnivore Diet Results. #MeatHeals Carnivore Diet For Humans. Carnivore Diet Joe Rogan. Carnivore Diet Weight Loss. Carn...
yesterday
Alex Curtis-Slep posted a video

Dominican Avocado’s are Amazing!

Have you tried Dominican avocado’s? If not you’re really missing out! Dominican avocados are amazing, if you see avocados from DR, I highly recommend giving ...
yesterday
ednshell left a comment for Catherine Lamontagne
yesterday
Catherine Lamontagne is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
yesterday
Frugisaurus replied to KorKat's discussion Any recovering addict/alcoholics living this lifestyle?
Monday
Profile IconKelly and John Perez joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Sunday
Alex Curtis-Slep posted a video

Produce Haul

Today I show what I got at the flea market in Pinellas Park, Florida. Lots of amazing fruit, including my favorite fruit, mamey sapote! What fresh food are y...
Friday
ednshell replied to Ramakrishna Surathu's discussion You are God - Ramakrishna Surathu
Friday
Profile Iconcherivedette bills, billeo410, Jack Holbrook and 1 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
Friday
OrganicMark joined Cassie K's group
Thursday
I'm 100% RAW:) and frugivore. replied to naringian's discussion electrolyte (sodium) content of parts (peels) of fruits, ie lemons
Feb 15
I'm 100% RAW:) and frugivore. and Asteria are now friends
Feb 14

© 2018   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service