30 Bananas a Day!

I'm volunteering at an organic farm and I just ate a bunch of super delicious tree ripened figs.. but my tongue burns REALLY badly right now, anyone know why?

Views: 5568

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It's more of a dual action. Mucus and saliva protect you from the enzymes but if the skin or fiber rubs the saliva off your mouth. That part of your mouth is now exposed to the protein dissolving enzymes.

This was a very helpful post.  Thank you!  I found that the digestive enzyme in figs is actually ficain, but that is in the same family of proteases as bromlase (the family known as the cysteine endopeptidases, according to wikipedia:)  

We can avoid the burning sensation by discarding the stem of the figs and the flesh nearest to it and by consuming only fully ripened figs.  Yesterday, I got 1.5 lbs into a bowl of figs that I thought were all completely ripened, but I reached a point where my tongue burned so badly all of a sudden, I couldn't eat one more thing.  I had no idea figs could do this, so thanks for the discussion, everyone!  Now we know.

Cool, I Learned something new today :) 

Quote: "Psoralens are "phytoalexins" used by plants as a defense against fungi and insects"

I've found that this only happens to me if they aren't fully ripe.  Make sure they are nice and mushy when you pick them.  I find that when the skin starts to get some little stretch marks is a good indication of ripeness. 

Dr. Doug showed us how to eat them properly.  Provided they are indeed ripe, touch the inside flesh to your lips and mouth first and then you can eat them and the skin won't bother you.

make sure the figs (or whatever) are really ripe ... and only eat as much as your body wants to have. listen to your reactions & stop eating as soon as it does not taste heavenly anymore or at the latest when you start to feel any slightest discomfort. some fruit, like figs & pineapple, give very strong signals!

RSS

30BaD Search

Latest Activity

Profile IconAmit Grover and Bette E. Murphy joined 30 Bananas a Day!
21 hours ago
Courtney Beth replied to Alyssa's discussion Zucchini pasta recipes????
yesterday
Catalin Sorecau posted a video

Night cross challenge

The 11th edition of Night cross challenge in Cluj-Napoca (Romania); two races, 4k and 10k.
yesterday
Profile IconBaldean, Rachel Swart, Keira Ballein and 3 more joined 30 Bananas a Day!
yesterday
pradtf replied to pradtf's discussion great site with nutritional research information
Monday
James Cherian and Alexis Claire are now friends
Saturday
Alex Curtis-Slep posted a video

November 11th Fruitluck Montage

We had a nice group at Maximo Park for a Fruitluck! The weather in St. Pete was great and so was the fruit! Mangoes, golden kiwi, grapes and much more! If yo...
Friday
Ben Trovato posted videos
Friday
I'm 100% RAW:) and frugivore. posted a discussion
Nov 17
I'm 100% RAW:) and frugivore. replied to Sérgio Filipe Meireles Soares's discussion Fruit Diet doubt
Nov 17
Rawberry replied to Rawberry's discussion Poop like sand?
Nov 16
ednshell replied to Rawberry's discussion Poop like sand?
Nov 16
Rawberry posted a discussion
Nov 16
Ben Trovato posted videos
Nov 16
LRoland is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Nov 16
Toby Nwazor is now a member of 30 Bananas a Day!
Nov 14

© 2017   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service