For quite awhile now, my scalp, neck, and upper back have been itching like crazy. Initially, when only my head was itching, we discovered it was lice (from my sister who got it from her friend). However, I have used lice treatment twice since then and have had many checks on my head--no eggs or bugs to be found.
But my head is SO very itchy... and it's not just my head anymore, it's my neck and upper back, too.
Does anyone have any ideas what this is and how I can cure it? Is it a detoz symptom? (Which would be strange, considering I've been vegan for a year and a half, and HCRV since late April without a single detox symptom).
Please help; It's driving me insane!
You've probably already thought of this, Alex, but have you been using any new products (like laundry detergent, shampoo, etc.)? When I think itch, I think of allergic reactions or eczema.
Not that I can think of. The only shampoo/conditioner I use is the Yes to Carrots and occasionally Treseme, but I've been using both of these long before any of these problems started.
I'm not sure about laundry detergent, though. I'll ask my dad. :)
Yeah, my sisters have had some allergic reactions to certain detergents, so that's why I asked. :)
Try just washing your head with water and or baking soda and water.
Do you eat 100% raw or do you still take some grains, tubers, or beans?
Do you eat lettuce greens?
Lettuce greens are actually good for skin and it.
However, spinach and kale are actually cruciferous vegetables and high in oxalate which can cause skin problems in some people.
Are there any fruits you think you might be allergic too? For example, some people have latex allergies and or allergies to pineapple. Just a thought.
Hope this helps.
I have been eating 100% raw for about 2 weeks now (except for maybe 2 nights when I included salt-free frozen corn to boost the calories of my salad), before that I ate raw all day and had included some cooked potatoes in the evening.
I have a head of romaine or iceberg lettuce every night, and never eat spinach or kale, because I have heard of the oxalate problems before.
There's no fruit I can think of that I'd be allergic to. The bulk of my diet since starting this lifestyle has always been bananas, dates, mangoes, and oranges. The only think that I may be allergic to is kiwis; I ate 6 green kiwis about a week ago, which did a good amount of damage to my tongue and lips from (my lips were chapped the next day and my tongue felt strange), but I figured that was from their acid content. However, when I was cutting the kiwis, I noticed that the areas of my skin where the juice had touched had turned red and burned... perhaps an allergy? But I'm pretty sure this itching has been going on since before I had the kiwis.
I'll try washing my head as you suggested.
Do you think that maybe it could be from pool water? I personally don't see how, as I've been swimming in pools my whole life, but maybe I am suddenly sensitive to it..? I've been doing a decent amount of swim training lately, so I don't know..
That is really strange !!! You know why?? Because I have been so itchy too, all over and can't figure it out ! LOL, I itch during the night on my shoulders and chest even on my legs...its really really weird
Me too. But just on my head and it started yesterday. And it was just for a few hours. Weird.
Are you eating high oxalate foods too? They include the cruciferous veggies like kale and spinach, tubers like potatoes, most beans, most nuts and seeds, and grains and bread. Oxalate can cause all kinds of skin irritation from mouth to out, both inside and outside.
Nah, no cruciforous veggies except when I make cauliflower rice. Kale and spinach I do have but only when I train more. Nuts and seeds? Only ever so often...no beans no bread have been clean ever since my journey started : )
But yeah, so itchy !! LOL, and so if I go eat a few bananas I can go back to bed no problem.
I itch on my legs, too, but that's mainly from mosquito bites! Ha.
The more you do this diet close to 100%, the more clean the body becomes, and the more sensitive it might be to irritants and toxins.
Potatoes and kiwi are also high oxalate foods, and if you have a history of being oxalate sensitive, they might be affecting you now.
If you have ever had latex sensitivities, kiwi has compounds in it similar to latex too, so that is a double whammy.
Read more here about kiwi, oxalate, and latex:
I've only had kiwis that one time since beginning this journey back in April.
And I know I'm not latex sensitive, all through my veterinary assisting class last year I had to wear latex gloves and I never had a problem..
Maybe it's an extended reaction from these oxalate foods?