30 Bananas a Day!

So I was at walmart with a buddy one day hanging out and shopping for suspenders when it hit me. I got overwhelmed with a craving for bananas, you know what I'm talking about. Anyway I didn't think walmart bananas could be that much different then organic ones but I was wrong! I could only eat half of a banana until I finally through the rest out, definitely learned my lesson.

Views: 1908

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Dude, if you just bought it, it was very unripe.  The WalMart where I live never lets the bananas get spots on them.

and most stores usually have signs up saying something like 'fresh ripe bananas ready when you are'. duh..

When I see those signs for bananas they are never actually ripe. Just yellow with no spots. Are you in the U.S.? 

I buy an entire case of bananas from walmart because it's so cheap. 40 lbs for $20.80 right now where I live.  But I always open up the box and take them out and pile them so they can get ripe. It takes about 3-4 days before the spots show up, but then I know I can eat them without any problems. In the mean time I have frozen ripe bananas from the last batch that got really ripe for my smoothies until the new ones are ready.

For only $2.60 more a case you could be enjoying the bliss of Whole Foods Earth Brand bananas.  http://www.earth-brand.org/earth_bananas.php  Which not only taste better but are also grown with far better environmental and social awareness.  ;)

I could, but we don't have a Whole Foods near where I live. I'd have to drive over 150 miles, and I have an infant. So the time cost and the cost of gas is not worth it for me. Walmart bananas work just fine for me. :)

Yeah, I'd have to drive 110 miles to a Whole Foods, too.  But for people who are close, great resource.  I try to buy organic bananas, though, because the taste is better and the health of the workers and the environment is important to me.  Only 30 cents a pound price difference, so I try to invest that whenever I have it.

Too bad all the WF's won't sell for this price.  My WF will sell the Earth brand for $36 a case.  They do taste good!

How do you do that? I'm going shopping this friday should I call ahead of time and ask them to reserve a box? 

No, you just go to where the bananas are and the cases are usually stored right underneath (so that the employees can restock the bananas easily). I just grab one (each box is 40 lbs) and put it on the bottom of the cart. Sometimes the people at the register know the code to ring up the box on it's own, but most don't, and the last time I did this they had to take out each bunch of bananas and pile as many as they could on the scale to weigh them. It only took a couple of minutes, though. I told them that I bought a case of bananas every 1-2 weeks and they said they'd figure something out so that they didn't have to weigh them like that. They also said that they had another lady that came in and bought bananas by the case, so it would be better for everyone. :)

Really!?! 20.80 for a box of bananas!?  That's amazing.  I'm going to Wal-Mart this afternoon, going to buy my first bulk box of bananas.  I'm a little nervous because I have a budget and no one at the Wal-Mart near where I live seems to know anything about this bulk-buying business.  Whenever I ask someone in produce about buying a big box of bananas or buying a box that they're not going to sell because the bananas have spots on them, they look at me like I'm a complete nutcase.

Sorry about your experience.

I love walmart bananas.  Of course, I do let them ripen up over three to four days.  When they are yellow with some spots they are very sweet.

Peace, PK

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

Latest Activity

for.the.love.of.fruit posted a discussion
19 minutes ago
BananaStatesofMurica! RAW OR DIE replied to Hasini Jayasooriya's discussion So much in-fighting in the vegan community
20 minutes ago
Alexis Griffus replied to Alexis Griffus's discussion I gained 30+ pounds on HCLF and I'm proud!
1 hour ago
Alexis Griffus replied to Alexis Griffus's discussion I gained 30+ pounds on HCLF and I'm proud!
1 hour ago
Anneliese (AnnieBanannie) posted a photo
1 hour ago
Heidy Tran posted a photo
1 hour ago
Heidy Tran posted a status
"I am up to 10 bananas a day, my goal for this month is to take out fish & eggs! I need to learn to fight this!"
1 hour ago
Airin Oluwapelumi commented on Airin Oluwapelumi's video
1 hour ago
Chiara joined Kaitlyn's group
1 hour ago
Chiara joined Athena's group
1 hour ago
Chiara joined Nettarina's group
1 hour ago
Dominick replied to KevinRAW's discussion ....Is this group dead? in the group I'm single, you're single. Let's mingle!
1 hour ago
Katie Kookaburra and NaturalNat are now friends
2 hours ago
James Ramsay and Katie Kookaburra are now friends
3 hours ago
Get Raw Vegan left a comment for Katie Kookaburra
3 hours ago
Get Raw Vegan replied to Alexis Griffus's discussion I gained 30+ pounds on HCLF and I'm proud!
3 hours ago

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service