30 Bananas a Day!

If we have to cover up our greens with nuts, oils, or even just fruit-based sauces, should we really be eating them? Doesn't that merely mean we haven't eaten enough fruit calories for the day? It seems counter-intuitive to "force our greens in" and find ways to cover up the taste of them just so we can eat enough of them. If we do not have the desire to eat them, and I'm not talking about initially on this diet when we are used to all sorts of salts, spices, & other stimulants, I mean after our tastes have adjusted and we have no desire to mono greens on a certain day, why should we force ourselves? (Of course I'm not talking about eating no greens long-term, I'm talking about day-to-day)

What are your opinions?

Views: 693

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I agree I love greens. My favs are baby spinach leaves, mustard greens, (kale my absolute favorite) and butter lettuce. It really taste like a lil bit of butter and so smooth tasting. Love it!!!

Tender leafy greens taste really good for many people on 811 just plain.  I agree with Anne Osborne's point that the higher quality fruit we are able to obtain the more minerals we are getting from fruit and this might have some effect on how much people are drawn to greens.  Of course it takes time to be in tune with your body enough to know beyond objective measures what we need to eat.  There are so many factors effecting us from stress to learned behaviors from childhood.  The amount of nutrients in my home grown remineralized soil grown lettuce is easily 10 times that of any organic farmer's market lettuce, so this can be a factor too.

quote from The 80/10/10 Diet book from page 27:

"It is true that cruciferous vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, kale, collards, brussels sprouts, and cabbage are loaded with nutrients, including soluble fiber.  But they also contain cellulose and other difficult to digest or even indigestible fibers.  By indigestible fibers, I mean that our digestive system cannot break down these materials and must therefore eliminate them.  And unlike soluble fibers, these indigestible fibers are rigid and may scratch and scrape our delicate digestive lining as they pass through...These vegetables are best digested in their youngest and most tender state.  For best results, they must be thoroughly chewed or mechanically predigested via the use of the blender or shredding device...To be sure, we are capable of swallowing vegetation that contains cellulose and other rough, insoluble fibers, but such foods put a great load on our organs of digestion and elimination."

Nora Lenz explains things nicely here: ( http://rawschool.com/best-raw-foods/ )

Cruciferous Vegetables

Broccoli
Cauliflower
Cabbage
Brussels sprouts
Kale
Bok choy (greens)
Collard greens
Spinach
All are disqualified as optimal or even appropriate due to high cellulose content. Our bodies have limited ability to access the nutrients encased in the cellulose structure, so most of what we eat of them must only be eliminated from the body, which unnecessarily taxes our eliminative processes. These vegetables also contain irritating and indigestible oxalic acid and are bland or unpleasant to eat in their raw state. The exception in this category is young or baby spinach, which has what most people describe as a pleasant flavor and is relatively easy to digest in moderate quantities since its oxalic acid content is low at this point in its growth.

Many who have read your book are choosing to leave out greens because they are not drawn to them and want to just be "fruitarian." Any thoughts on this?

They are not following 811 at that point. I have not seen long-term fruitarians succeed, and have seen huge numbers of them fail (and too many die) over the almost four decades since I first started my dietary journey. My thoughts? DON'T do it. And certainly don't associate fruitarianism with 80/10/10. In my book, I recommend eating 2 to 6% of calories from green, leafy vegetables. This amounts to 40 to 120 calories for a person eating 2,000 calories (which, by the way, is very unlikely to be enough food for a person doing enough physical activity to be healthy). Forty calories is roughly a medium-sized head of lettuce. That is the absolute minimum I would suggest, and two to three times that is far more likely to provide adequate nutrition. People who eat more than 2,000 calories should adjust accordingly.  http://www.foodnsport.com/blog/articles/interview-with-dr-graham.php

I love my greens. They make my brain feel so much better which is important because it's little.

i feel the same way. but although i dont enjoy eating greens without fattening or fruity toppings, my body enjoys the feeling of having those greens in my system. i usually juice my greens with a couple of apples so that i can get in a few pounds easy. ill do that whenever my body feels like its necessary. that seems to keep me at a healthy balance

sometimes i do crave fatty foods and thats when i like to have salad. i REALLY enjoy a salad if its got some avocado, or sun-ripened olives, or some soaked nuts for toppings. i dont crave those things very often but when i do its salad time.

still i usually stick to eating my fruit whole and juicing my greens whenever my body seems to crave the minerals

I happen to really like greens; Spinach, Kale, Chard, Collards, so on… but I understand that some people just don’t like them.

The most painless way to get your green is to just blend a 4-5 hand full’s of Spinach up with several Bananas, it chops up to almost nothing and doesn’t have much of a taste it just turns it green.

Dark green leafy vegetables are needed for minerals and amino acids.

Here is Dr. Doug Graham on this subject:

Is a 100% Fruit Diet Healthy - Dr. Doug Graham

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsOAU4bC_Hk

A pound of greens a day is a very good idea

i feel that greens have prevented me from going back to eating poorly more than a few times. it's not the calories obviously... but there's something about them that satiates me differently. with fruit i'd better damn well have enough or else later i'm gonna be hungry. greens kinda slows that phenomena down for me. seemingly. drinking lots of water with greens helps me get them down more easily.

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

Latest Activity

John Smith replied to John Smith's discussion Cooked Broccoli
17 minutes ago
Bella Kintzley commented on Anna's group Beginners in a fruitarian/raw vegan lifestyle
22 minutes ago
Profile IconBella Kintzley and Jessica joined Anna's group
24 minutes ago
Dr Joberry Sweet replied to ♥ AimeeLovesYou's discussion Spring Into Action! Log your training here :)
52 minutes ago
Dr Joberry Sweet replied to ♥ AimeeLovesYou's discussion Spring Into Action! Log your training here :)
55 minutes ago
56 minutes ago
Tiffany Etzel joined L's group
1 hour ago
Dominic replied to Anna's discussion Smoothies!
1 hour ago
Tiffany Etzel commented on Marina's group I'm single, you're single. Let's mingle!
1 hour ago
Tiffany Etzel joined Marina's group
1 hour ago
Dominic replied to Christygee's discussion Have you COMPLETELY REVERSED your gut health?
1 hour ago
Sweetveganblueberry commented on gianna giavelli's blog post Dunking Bread In Olive Oil Reduces Risk of Heart Attack Says New Study
1 hour ago
abigail morrison posted a status
"bored and feeling like im the only vegan in Joplin and im not just cant make friends"
2 hours ago
Zoltan replied to Zoltan's discussion Food Combinig Charts
3 hours ago
Marlon Buckley replied to Sasha's discussion SALT.
3 hours ago
William McClellan replied to Swon's discussion 3D printing is bananas!
4 hours ago

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service