30 Bananas a Day!

If we have to cover up our greens with nuts, oils, or even just fruit-based sauces, should we really be eating them? Doesn't that merely mean we haven't eaten enough fruit calories for the day? It seems counter-intuitive to "force our greens in" and find ways to cover up the taste of them just so we can eat enough of them. If we do not have the desire to eat them, and I'm not talking about initially on this diet when we are used to all sorts of salts, spices, & other stimulants, I mean after our tastes have adjusted and we have no desire to mono greens on a certain day, why should we force ourselves? (Of course I'm not talking about eating no greens long-term, I'm talking about day-to-day)

What are your opinions?

Views: 687

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think the recommendation to eat a pound of greens a day is good for when you're starting out, because your body may not be able to tell you what it needs out of the choices your giving it since it had very different choices before. I think once you've been eating this way for a while, like years, you'll have a better understanding of what you need to eat based on cravings and how you feel.
Also, 10% or less of fat is more of a weekly or monthly guideline, so maybe greens could be also (probably closer to weekly though, I'd say).
Just my thoughts! :) I may be wrong.

if i dont like the taste of greens and i dont want them i dont eat them i find em a little too high in fat for me so i rarely eat them if you eat enough fruit you get all your nutrience but maby there are some micronutrience for longevity or some crap in certain plants

Greens are too high in fat?  I guess you never eat berries either, then.  They've got a similar percentage of fat.  You're missing out.

nah mate i rarely eat berries they cost a lot over here in australia

I do remember Dr. Graham expressing his well founded concern regarding fruitarian endeavours. He said: he has seen no longtime healthy fruitarians (no green consumption).

I know it is only one person's opinion. There are plenty of people aiming for fruit only: Mango, Kveta, Nora, Anne, Fruity Jules, Maltron, and many more whose name I cannot remember. Some of these lovely folks look amazing, some look a bit too thin on their videos, pictures. They don't mind experimenting with their lifestyles. They are pioneers in this regard.

The idea however is, that if we eat a species specific diet, it does include tender young greens. Most importantly for their valuable fatty acids, that fruit have so little of, especially Omega 3's.

Perhaps what you are covering up with sauces, hiding its taste is too bitter or even tasteless for you, then choose some really tender varieties.

My favourite tender greens to munch-on with no sauces whatsoever: romaine lettuce, arugula, baby bok choy, celery sticks, baby spinach leaves. Sometimes I get lucky and find some heirloom lettuces from California, and boy, they are so tasty to have as snacks! I don't care for a medley of lettuces all at once, no salads for me.

I say find at least one kind of young green, and just taste it for what it is. Who knows, you might fall in love with it. Experiment.

+10

Excellent post.  I have seen DG say this as well.  I believe he says 2-4% of calories should come from greens.  Can't remember if I read that in the book or not though.  But I trust he knows what he's talking about in this regard.  I should, I'm following his diet.

Also our taste buds adapt.  The more greens you eat the more you will start to enjoy them.

Are you sure about that 33%?  That's like 10 pounds of lettuce, dude.

2-4% of calories coming from greens it's quite a bit of greens, since they don't have many calories... But i'm beeing flexible as you are... trying to learn how to listen to my body. Having salads 3 or 4 times a week.

3% of 3000 is 90.  530 grams of romaine is 90 calories or 560 grams of celery.  At least 1.5 lbs of greens a day is ideal in my opinion.  But judging by these numbers not necessary.

So, I am curious about the idea that you shouldn't consume the same type of green for more than six weeks in a row- how does that figure into 80/10/10? Does it play any part or was that just a recommendation for non-HCRV eaters? I can get spinach in bulk, pretty cheap, and put it in my green smoothies, with the occasional spinach salad, but am at a loss as to what to do after six weeks. Spinach isn't the only place I get my greens (celery, romaine and arugula), so does that mean I am exempt from worrying about changing my greens every six weeks? I would love to hear people's opinion as I am not sure if this is a rumor or fact or I've just heard it for so long, I accept it as fact!

I have heard it from a few long time raw fooders. The rotation of the greens ensures you will not develop intolerances towards that particular green. Most greens have many alkaloids, slightly toxic compounds in them, and if eaten too much too frequently, it does accumulate and cause troubles.
That is why it is not only important to erotate the type of green, but also to eat the young varieties. Baby spinach, baby bok choy, young dandelions leaves, etc. the deeper the green, the older the green, the more alkaloids there are inside.
I love green juices, so I make sure I juice many varieties of greens. I also take breaks from the deep greens (kale, collards, chard etc.), and juice mainly carrots, beets, apples, celery.

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service