30 Bananas a Day!

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you could help me out. It's a weird question. But being vegan, how do you deal with friends, family members and co-workers that don't intend on becoming even vegetarian and talk about food all the time, buy leather and etc.? Right now I'm feeling like I'm living in a world of selfish jerks and it makes me very sad. I just hate everyone around me for not listening to what I say about helping animals while also improving their own health (which is lacking in all of them). Simply helping animals is enough of a reason for me, but they don't seem to understand neither reason. Thanks for reading this. Hope you answer. Have a great day everyone! :)

Alex

Tags: co-workers, coworkers, family, friends, non, vegan

Views: 633

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Glad you're optimist and reaching for your goals. Great inspiration.

When people ask why I'm vegan, I always tell them that I hate animals that much, that I don't even want to eat them. Makes them laugh and think at the same time.

Anyway, many people I know closely are already converting to a vegetarian/vegan lifestyle, partly because of me I guess. I have set up a website (www.thefruiteaters.com) and always have my businesscards with me with the web address on it. Makes it very easy to make your case.

That's really funny and it's a good, light way to broach the subject.  I tend to be much more straightforward, but I think you're method is actually a lot more effective. 

Having something like a website that they can read is a great idea too.  It let's the person learn and think at their own leisure without feeling like they are being judged.

Alex I have the best answer for you!

The best way and the only efficient way is to learn how to make a few bad ass ultra gourmet comfort foods )raw vegan of course) and just tease the heck out of these people. Nobody and I mean nobody... can resist the seduction of the palate.  That is the first and most important step in re-education. Breaking bead as they say. Yes you have to work your buns off yada yada yada-- yeah it is lots of effort.., you wanted a solution and this is the all time best way. It works. Just set an example. Seduce them. Become a benevolent "food dictator"...

I must be lucky but where I live in Long Island New York, every single person I have come across in the last ten years is pretty much nutrition savvy on an intellectual level. (I remember 20, 30, 40! yikes! years ago it was NOT this way here at all!)

But they all admit (to me anyway- even total strangers- that the only reason they eat crap is that they "lack discipline". They agree with me that they know that they should at least be vegan and stop eating and drinking garbage, yada yada yada... but that they are "weak" and they just do not want to change. At least they are honest! 

"If to do were as easy as to know what were good to do, then chapels had been churches and poor man's cottages prince's palaces" - Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Just keep at it, and if that doesn't work, either tune out to it, and tell them it bothers you..or make new friends...There really is nothing to deal with..You either can or can't be around it..It is all up to you. You can make friends that really understand you or you could just do your own thing and not talk about food. I keep trecking and telling my friends about it and now they are mostly all vegans..It just makes sense..Education helps..Also, you could send them some videos related to health like Forks over Knives or Hungry For Change that just came out. Then, there is always a good old fashioned slaughter house video that everyone seems to get impacted by at least for a week anyway. Try all things and see which one works best for you! You have to live with yourself 24/7..You have to find what makes you feel comfortable. I don't care what people do, bc I know if they stay with me long enough, I will be getting to them eventually...That is how confident I am..lol..I never thought in a million years I would or could go vegan and now I am ethical too...lol...I never even cared a blink about any animals before...and now I have an entire page on facebook dedicated to going fruitarian...it's called One Fruit At A Time..go there and press LIKE and maybe you can meet new peeps there that share your interests...Hey, you really never know till you try. Good luck!
oh, also even with my husband's urging for years...It still took me 10 years to go vegan 100%. I would sneak away and have meat when my husband wasn't looking..now I am more into it than he is..lol

so in a matter of a month i had about 6 co-workes give up meat and cutdown on dairy it wasnt anything i said it was what i gave them to watch both fork over knife and food matters are great movies and it relly helps break it down for everyone and after a lil while a few went back to eating meat but they cut way down on there intake over all witch is quite a bit of an achievement in my mind 

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service