30 Bananas a Day!

Carbohydrate Intolerance & Obesity

Studies have shown that Carbohydrate Intolerance plays part in obese people. Moreover it was also found that obese men may not process carbohydrates as efficiently as obese women, a condition that can, ultimately, lead to a decrease in fitness level and the development of metabolic disorders. 

Carbohydrate intolerance and obesity.
Carbohydrate intolerance can explain why some people find it more difficult to lose weight.

A new study published in the CHEST, a journal of the American College of Chest Physicians (ACCP), showed that severely obese men were more carbohydrate intolerant and had less physical endurance than severely obese women, leading researchers to believe that gender plays a strong role in physical fitness and a person's ability to metabolize carbohydrates.

“Carbohydrate intolerance, the inability to metabolize sugar found in carbohydrates, may lead to a build-up of fat deposits on muscle tissue, which can cause a person to gain weight and, eventually, impair physical endurance,” said study co-author Emile F. L. Dubois, MD, PhD, FCCP, Department of Pulmonary Diseases, Hospital Reinier de Graaf Groep, Delft-Voorburg, Netherlands.

“It appears that carbohydrate intolerance is more common in obese men, which would cause them to be less physically fit than obese women.” Researchers also assessed patients for carbohydrate intolerance, according to American Diabetes Society Guidelines. 59 percent of men had overt diabetes or were carbohydrate intolerant, as compared to 35 percent of women. Researchers note that patients with carbohydrate intolerance usually suffer from metabolic syndrome, a group of medical conditions, including obesity, diabetes, and hypertension, that can lead to cardiovascular disease.

Views: 788

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I wonder what the fat intake of these people was during this study? 

Carlos169,

I have real problem with the authenticity of studies like these which blame macronutrients for people's obesity. Having spent quite a lot of time in various parts of the world and seeing what people eat, I have not found that high carb made anyone fatter. For instance I lived in various Asian countries for almost 10 years. Asians as a whole eat rice with everything, eat lots of fruit and vegetables, are not fat. The Asian people who started eating more like westerners began to gain weight. Their diets started to include more fast food. In America, people are eating more and more fast food and drinking sodas. My observation is that Americans are getting fatter and fatter not from more carbs but from an ever increasing amount of calories which are nutrient deficient. IMO, if people begin focusing on nutrient density of their foods they will see an improvement in their health and weight.

I think the point was people that cannot absorb carbs become overweight. So the point is that not being able to absorb carbs or not eating enough carbs can lead to weight gain probably through binging etc.

I think the point was people that cannot absorb carbs become overweight.

The problem with studies like this is that they establish correlation as opposed to causation. It is just as likely that the obese people in the study have developed carbohydrate intolerances due to their obesity (and compounding health issues) than the other way around. This is a study of unhealthy individuals and can do no more than list the issues present in these individuals at their state of unhealth; it cannot accurately track their route to unhealth.

An obese person is living in a body that is screwed up in several ways, and all of those imbalances cause many side-effect issues. The only way a study like this would have validity, in my mind, is if they were able to track the lives of individuals with so-called carbohydrate intolerance from a condition of health to a state of obesity with a mechanism to prove that the causation lies with the carbohydrate issue.

I'm suffering from it right now... Fructose ***** me, carbs from quinoa rice etc do as well but not so much.

Chemotherapy has ruined my guts.

Are you able to digest fat, though?  You have a traumatized gut, so you have trouble digesting.  That isn't the same thing as carbohydrate intolerance, is it?  If the food is not digesting in your guts, then it never has the opportunity to get to the cellular level, where the "carbohydrate intolerance" would occur.  Just wondering...

Sorry for what you're going through.  It must be a pain!

Well a noted side effect of chemo is both fructose intolerance and carb intolerance. Fast replicating cells are killed off and the GI tract is full of fast replicating cells. I'm not sure if the lack of cells hinders absorption as well as not producing enzymes to break things down.

Gotcha.  What a bummer.  :(

Yeap! Ironically I can handle fat and protein ie cancer causing foods... Kind of ironic!

Oh, dear.  Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

Hey Carlos

Hope you are consuming plenty of green vegetable juices to get your nutrient intakes up. You will need lots of antioxidants, phytonutrients, vitamins and minerals after the chemo. How do you get on with sweet potatoes? They are one of the easier to digest cooked carbohydrates and are lower GL than some others. Papaya as well might be an easier to digest fruit. Lower in carbs, gentle on the digestion. Maybe just need to ease yourself in after the chemo.

Take care

Adam x

Hey Adam,

I've been trying to juice as many vegetables as I can. I usually try carrot/beets/green apple/broccoli as a staple. I NEED to do more green smoothies.

I haven't tried sweet potatoes yet. I'll steam some tonight.

Thanks for the help! 

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service