30 Bananas a Day!

I've noticed, over time, that certain brands of bananas have different qualities and tastes. 

There was a lot of talk a while back about everyone seriously disliking Dole bananas, which I came to agree. I've tried other brands of bananas from different grocers and find most of them dry and chalky and/or once they get ripe enough to eat, they're too ripe and they smell and taste fermented. It's like there's no in between. 

I've been tolerating the organic Del Monte bananas from the grocery store but they're still not great.

My mom's neighbor grows a variety of different bananas in her back yard and she gave me a small bunch a couple years ago and I've never had a better banana. So, I know I really like them when they're good but the problem is, it's so hard to get a good banana. 

What brands of bananas have you tried that you really liked or disliked? And where do you buy the good ones?

Views: 9791

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I just tried cerro azul yesterday, they're organic free trade cavendish from ecuador.. best cavendish I've ever had, first time in so long i was actually excited about eating bananas. I found out my grocery store carries them and (crosses fingers) can likely order them on demand, and be had at wholesale prices. I've been living on doles for 6 months, I don't think I'll ever go back, they're so blech. dole is evil too of course.

really like baby bananas too, ones i get are turbana.
Thank you for sharing, B. I'm gonna try and talk to some of the produce buyers and see if I can convince them to order some fair trade bananas for me. That would be awesome if they can.
These are the kind I've been buying lately, too. Intoxicating tropical smell and taste when ripe! Best bananas I've ever had. Not to mention, a great little growing firm that has been organic since birth--not for profit, but for the sake of sustainability. They taste good and make you feel good about eating them.
The only organic bananas we get here on Vancouver Island are Chequita from Ecuador.
I believe I tried another kind from Peru but I don't remember the name.
Either way, Chequita are absolutely delicious. We've never had a problem with them.
My husband is okay with Chiquita bananas but I haven't seen organic ones around here, only conventional. I'll keep looking. Thank you for sharing, Tarah.
Almost made a post about this yesterday. Funny, I also just tried cerro azul yesterday and they tasted amazing. Since bananas are so cheap it makes sense to seek out the best brands. See if they have cerro azul in your area. Dole was my staple for a while, but I've also tried Earth - I have to try these again. Yea no more Dole for me.
I think I've tried the Earth bananas and they were super creamy the first time I bought them but I had a problem with them going bad really fast after that. It was after I had them that I started thinking about finding other brands. I really want to try the Cerro Azul brand now. Thanks for posting!
I wish the Dole bananas were good here. They're so inexpensive but I've never had good luck with them. Thank you for sharing!
Oh wow, that's interesting. I didn't know this.
I agree with you, Josh. Thank you for posting!
I get inconsistent and poor results from everything organic (Dole, Chiquita, Del Monte, and Earth brands, I think) EXCEPT for the Grow Brand. Grow is consistently good. Our Trader Joe's used to carry that brand but now has switched to one of the icky brands! I only see Grow at one store near me now... What's weird is the non-organic bananas of some of those same brands are often good...

I found the same thing about them getting overripe. I was looking mostly for spots, but they are ripe when they have less spots. They can be ok--you just can't let them get too spotty. Check more for softness.

If you are not picky about organic, you might try Asian or Mexican markets for baby bananas, red bananas, and saba burro bananas. They can be a bit tricky to figure out the ripeness but are delicious when good.
What's weird is the non-organic bananas of some of those same brands are often good...

I've found this to be true also, Laurie. I'm gonna have to look for the Grow brand. I would love to find a banana that's consistently good. I've purchased conventional baby bananas from time to time but those seem to be hit and miss as well. Thank you for sharing.

RSS

30BaD search

Freelee & Durianrider Blogs

Durianriders Blog

Freelee's Blog

Latest Activity

© 2014   Created by TheBananaGirl.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service